The Meter Reading & Maintenance Supervisor will supervise a staff that is responsible for the reading, installation, maintenance and repair of water meters.
This supervisor will perform work in planning, coordinating, scheduling, assigning, directing, and reviewing field and shop activities involved in the reading, installation, maintenance and repair of meters, data logging and computer equipment.
Typical duties may include:
• Plans, schedules, assigns, directs and reviews the work of employees engaged in reading, maintaining, repairing, testing, calibrating and installing flow meters, a variety of recording, and data logging equipment; sets productivity standards.
• Designs and adjusts meter reading and repair routes.
• Develops and maintains positive working relations with support vendors.
• Resolves customer field inquiries.
• Actively participates in ensuring health and safety initiatives are met.
• Prepares and maintains leave schedules and reports and other documents related to personnel transactions.
• Evaluates work performed and prepares appraisal forms.
• Assists in selecting employees; prepares the interview questions and formats the interview appraisals.
• Confers with customers regarding meter reading or meter repair problems.
• Estimates times, cost, labor and material needs; assigns personnel, orders and necessary equipment and materials.
• Discusses job details with subordinates, interprets drawing, diagrams and specifications as required.
• Directs the requisitioning of materials, supplies and equipment for meter maintenance and repair work.
• Ensures the maintenance of adequate instrumentation supply inventories.
• Assists in developing and implementing a preventive maintenance program for commercial and residential meters including automatic meter reading devices.
• Recommends selection of employees; reviews and evaluates work performed; administers the training for meter reading and repair personnel.
• Assists in formulating the Meter Division annual budget and monitors expenditures to conform to the approved budget.
• Monitors new developments in the meter equipment and maintenance fields and evaluates their potential application to East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) operations.
A typical means of acquiring the essential knowledge, skills and abilities is:
A high school diploma or its equivalent, and either:
1. Four years of experience as a Meter Reader/Mechanic; or
2. Three years of experience at the journey level comparable to EBMUD's Meter Reader/ Mechanic Foreman, Water Distribution Crew Foreman, or Meter Reader Foreman classifications; or
3. Three years of experience developing routes for or directing others in developing routes.
Must demonstrate competency in all areas of work (e.g. developing routes, repairing small meters, meter reading) within one year of appointment or appointment to this classification will be discontinued.
Must possess a valid California driver's license and have a satisfactory driving record.
Must possess physical characteristics to perform the critical and important duties of the job.
Must be willing to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
The Selection Process:
1. Submit a completed EBMUD application and the required supplemental question responses online at www.ebmud.com by 4:30 p.m. Friday, September 20, 2013. Only application materials submitted online during the filing period will be accepted. Application materials faxed, mailed or delivered to EBMUD will not be accepted.
2. All qualified applications and supplemental responses will be competitively evaluated, with those candidates demonstrating the strongest qualifications for the position to be invited to a panel interview scheduled for mid to late October.
3. Successful candidates will be ranked on a hiring list for further consideration to fill the current regular vacancy, as well as others occurring over the next 12 to 24 months.
As the first step in the selection process, responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted online with the regular EBMUD application. Please provide thorough, accurate descriptions of assignments you have personally performed.
EBMUD - 19 months ago