Software sales specialist, responsible for selling BTO software solutions to end-user customers in assigned FEDERAL accounts. The focus of this position is to maintain and grow the base business, focus on complex solutions and drive new business opportunities in geography based accounts, and support reseller business as an extension of reach into account base. This responsibility will be accomplished by establishing a professional working relationship (up to the executive level) with the client, and by developing a core understanding of the unique business needs of the client within their industry.
Tailor strategy and solutions to meet the needs of the customer and interface with both internal and external/industry experts to anticipate customer needs and facilitate solution development.
Applies a developed subject matter knowledge to solve common and complex business issues within established guidelines and by recommending appropriate software solutions. Works on problems/projects of diverse complexity and scope.
Exercises judgment within generally defined policies and practices to identify and select a solution.
Acts as a team or project leader providing direction to team activities and facilitates information validation and team decision making process.
Does not require day to day supervision, and has ability to handle most unique situations.
Unique mastery and recognized authority on relevant subject matter knowledge including technologies, theories, or techniques. Contributes to the development of innovative principles and ideas. Successfully operates in the most complex disciplines in which the company must operate to be successful.
Provides highly innovative solutions. Routinely exercises independent judgment in developing methods, techniques and criteria for achieving objectives. Develops strategy and sets functional policy and direction.
Acts as a functional manager within area of expertise but does not manage other employees as a primary job function. Leads large, cross-division functional teams or projects that affect the organizations long-term goals and objectives May participate in cross-division, multi-function teams. Provides mentoring and guidance to lower level employees.
Works with Management to develop future business plans; independently determines methods for achieving plans
Directly related work results;
- Works on accounts of greater dollar and/or strategic (long term) value; typically of higher risk to HP
- Develops account plans and long-term sales funnel to increase HP's market share.
- Sells complex products, solutions to customers on a partnership basis, or may act as a dedicated resource to a few strategic national/super region accounts directs and coordinates supporting activities
- Project manages other sales professionals
- May develop business plan in conjunction with customer
- Significant percentage of time spent directly with the customer; interfaces with all levels, including board level; majority of customer time is with management; minimal direct time with customer's technical buyers
- Extensive time working with and leveraging a diverse set of external partners
- Typically assigned higher than average quota
including demonstrated achievement of progressively higher quota, diversity of business customer, and higher level customer interface Prior selling experience includes multiple, diverse set of selling responsibilities.
Viewed as expert in given field by company and customer: is a mentor of selling strategy, including designing strategy.
Ideal candidate has five or more years of successful outside software sales experience into the information technology field calling on the executive level. Require experience selling systems and network management, help desk, change and configuration and security software.
Ideally has experience working within a strategic multi-discipline sales team which may have included representation from the services, hardware, storage groups.
Education & Experience Required:
Critical Competencies to Drive Business Results:
- Proven history of successfully exceeding sales quotas in product technology sales role within Public Sector
- Bachelor's (undergraduate) degree in business or Master's (graduate) degree in Business Administration (MBA) or relevant experience.
- Must have at least three years of experience working with external channel partners to deliver an end to end solution sale.
- Knowledge of the HP OpenView software solution and its application is required.
- Experience having successfully sold for a direct competitor like Computer Associates, Tivoli, BMC, NetIQ, Concord, and/or Mercury Interactive is an added benefit.
- Must have at least five years of experience developing compelling responses to RFI's and RFP's.
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills as well as presentation skills.
- Personality characteristics desired include integrity, self-starter, strong competitor, strong strategist, team player, stable, high energy level, morally sound and ethically balanced.
- Ideal candidate will have Federal Systems Integrator software sales experience (eg. Lockheed Martin, SAIC, Harris Corp.)
New Business Acquisition
Aggressively searches for opportunities in new or existing accounts, expanding business in a way that ensures profitability for HP
Opportunity Qualification, Development and Closing
Assesses feasibility of pursuing an opportunity given what the customer is trying to accomplish, competitive presence and strength, and risk to HP of proceeding. Defines and positions well-targeted solutions to generate customer acceptance, develop internal HP buy-in, and wins the deal
Establishes HP' technical credibility with customers, educates account teams in area of specialization, and provides an interface between HP and its customer base
Account Planning and Alignment
Supports the development of account plans that focus sales activities, ensure accurate forecasts, and integrate specialist-selling seamlessly within an overall account strategy
Customer Relationship Management
Demonstrates customer-sensitive practices within accounts to support trust in HP and advance HP's account presence
Margin Management Support
Supports maintenance of the profit margin essential for protecting the business interests of HP
Sales Effectiveness Fundamentals
Tools & Resources Utilization, Businesses & Offers, Competitive Positioning, Organizational Collaboration
United States-District of Columbia-Washington
Virginia-Leesburg-Virginia - Herndon, Maryland-Bethesda-Maryland - Bethesda
Yes, 50 % of the Time
HP - 16 months ago
Hewlett-Packard Company, or HP, is an American multinational information technology corporation headquartered in Palo Alto, California, USA...