Valparaiso University College of Business (http://www.valpo.edu/cob/) invites applications for a full time position as Advising and Practical Experience Coordinator. The primary purpose of this full-time, 40 hours per week position is to advise, assist, evaluate, and direct students on a successful pathway to meeting their academic goals and assisting in the development and coordination or practical experience opportunities for students.
The successful candidate will build partnerships and internship opportunities locally, statewide, nationally and internationally for students, consult with employers regarding optimal marketing strategies to connect students to internships and jobs and to collaborate on events and workshops, and maintain accurate data, records, and files to track the activities, achievements, participation, progress, and status of individual students.
Valparaiso University enrolls over 4,000 undergraduate and graduate students and has been ranked one of the "Best Master's Universities in Midwest" and "One of the Best Buys" by U.S. News and World Report. The College of Business is AACSB accredited, serves over 400 undergraduate students offering B.S.B.A. and B.S. in accounting degrees, and serves over 90 graduate students offering MBA and Master of Engineering Management programs. VU is located in Valparaiso, Indiana, a community of 30,000 residents with quality public schools and light industry, and is situated about 15 miles from Lake Michigan and about an hour from downtown Chicago.
Successful applicants will demonstrate a commitment to cultural diversity and the ability to work with individuals or groups from diverse backgrounds.
Employment at Valparaiso University will require a criminal background check.
To be considered for this position you must upload:
Please address cover letters to:
- Cover letter
- A list of 3 professional references
- Answer all the application questions
Toni Spaliaras, Assistant Dean, College of Business
Valparaiso, IN 46383
- Applicants should have a Bachelor's Degree, Master's Degree preferred (preferably in Business, Education, or a related area),
- Be available on a regular basis throughout the week to advise students to ensure correct courses for graduation are completed.
- Participate in and assisting in the planning of new student orientation (FOCUS).
- Build partnerships and internship opportunities locally, state-wide, nationally and internationally for students.
- Consult with employers regarding optimal marketing strategies to connect students to internships and jobs, and also collaborate on events and workshops.
- Maintain accurate data, records, and files to track the activities, achievements, participation, progress, and status of individual students.
- Ideal candidates will have strong technology skills (Microsoft Office; Internet search engines, etc.).
- Strong administrative skills (return phone calls, emails, speak to parents, transfer students, student plan sheets, sports eligibility forms, relevant meetings, etc.)
- A minimum of three years professional experience in the private, government, or non-for-profit sectors in academic advising or external (community) relations development.
Valparaiso University - 13 months ago