Sutter Medical Center Santa Rosa is located in the heart of Northern California's famous wine country, just 50 miles north of San Francisco and 30 minutes from the beautiful Pacific Coast. Providing quality health care services to the residents of Sonoma County for over 130 years, Sutter Medical Center Santa Rosa has 135 licensed beds and serves a population of more than 130,000 people. Centers of excellence include: Interventional Cardiology, Cardiac Surgery, Women's and Children's Services, and Level III NICU.
The Emergency Department Technician functions as an integral member of the patient care team under the clinical direction of the registered nurse. Provide patient care functions related to a variety of needs and assists nurses and physicians in the performance of their practice. The Emergency Department Technician works closely with Emergency Department physicians, Consulting physicians, ED management, ED Charge Nurses, ED staff nurses, EMT's, CSA's, ancillary departments and outside institution/agencies.
The Emergency Department Technician is responsible to meet patient needs to the extent of their ability and training while fostering a harmonious work environment in which high quality patient care and customer service is consistently provided. Promotes a cooperative working relationship with health care givers, physicians, other disciplines, and the public by facilitating and enhancing communication, displaying honesty and respect, displaying sensitivity to cultural differences, utilizing problem-solving skills and expressing and accepting feedback in a professional manner.
High School diploma or equivalent required
(1) One year acute ED experience as an emergency department technician within past 3 years or;
(2) One year of field triage experience as a paramedic preferred.
(1) Current CPR certification
(2) Completion of an accredited Emergency and/or Medical Technician Program Preferred
(3) Emergency Medical Technician certification recommended.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
(Describe the responsibilities or work assignments delegated to this position)
1 Under the direction of the Registered Nurse, assists in the carrying out of patient care as it relates to:
(a) The patient's physical needs which include, but are not limited to, hygienic and personal care, nutritional support, obtaining, measuring, and recording vital signs, weights, intake and output; specimens and elimination needs of the patient; ambulation and physical activities, and after-death care.
(b) Patient care functions including, but not limited to, venipuncture for blood withdrawal, simple respiratory functions (Peak Flow, oxygen saturation measures), electrocardiograph tests; and assistance with procedures.
(c) Documents treatment and observations related to patient's response.
2. Carries out those portions of the patient plan of care delegated by the Registered Nurse and Physician. Participates in reports, team/unit staff meetings, in service/educational programs. Reports observations to assist in the evaluation of patient care. Re-enforces patient instructions as delegated by the Registered Nurse.
3. Inventories and replenishes stock supplies.
4. Sets up and applies cardiac monitoring equipment
5. Gathers and readies equipment and supplies for IV insertion by RN
6. Initiates BCLS and Code Blue/Code 3 Procedures.
7. Communicates with patient and family in a clear and open manner showing care and concern.
8. Observes and reports needs of patients and families/significant others within scope of responsibility.
9. Posts x-ray and lab results to the patient chart for RN or MD review.
10. Performs basic functions as a CSA so as to relieve CSA at the direction of the charge nurse.
11. Responds to emergency situations in a competent manner.
12. Maintains patient confidentiality
13. Possess a calm, appropriate and professional manner
14. Ability to make decisions utilizing good judgement
15. Maintain a clean, safe, and organized working and patient environment.
16. Knowledge of disaster preparedness, acquire and utilize knowledge of fire and disaster drill plans for ED.
17. Able to assist with and provide directed care to patients of all age groups
OTHER FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES:
1. Complies with all Sutter Medical Center policies
2. Seeks educational experiences to improve general department skills
3. Assists in observing patients at risk for untoward events
4. Supports the mission philosophy and goals of the Medical Center
5. Contributes to and actively participates in the quality assurance and improvement processes, per JCAHO and/or other regulatory agencies
6. Supports the development of unit/team goals, and actively participates in team staff meetings
7. Demonstrates financial awareness by responsible use of equipment and supplies to control costs. Provides input into resource allocation and the budgetary process.
8. Demonstrates a strong commitment to customer service and promotes a positive perception of the department and hospital.
9. Performs other related duties as needed or requested by RN or MD within their scope of responsibilities.
(1) Ability to work effectively in a high stress environment
(2) Order entry by computer
(3) Ability to communicate effectively
(4) Possess and utilize organizational skills, be able to set priorities
California-San Francisco North Bay-Santa Rosa
California-San Francisco North Bay-Santa Rosa
Sutter Medical Center of Santa Rosa
All Candidate Applications Accepted
Employee Referral Bonus
8 Hour Shift
Days of the Week Scheduled
Hours Per 2wk Pay Period
Sutter Health - 11 months ago
Whether you drink too much in Wine Country, hit some rough waters off the Marin Headlands, or trip during a hike through the redwood forest,...