Systems Engineer SE
This position requires working closely with flight and ground engineers, tech writers, and our user and customer community to create, maintain and document our requirements, design and deployment processes. Successful candidates will be responsible for the oversight and deliver of Contract Data Requirements List (CDRL) items to our customers and for presenting this data in various forums.
Focuses on the operational application of systems engineering, performing functions such as checking requirement consistency, ensuring that interfaces are correct, ensuring that requirements are met, and checking requirements and supporting documentation into a database. Tracks system development, ensuring that all technical areas are moving according to a predetermined schedule. Works issues personally or flags areas where additional engineering effort or visibility is needed. Typically verifies requirements that don't require deep engineering multidisciplinary knowledge, such as dimensions, mass properties, or input and output signal voltage and timing. Ensures that all requirements are addressed, verifies that the system design satisfies all requirements, and collects evidentiary packages for sell-off to the customer.
Primary Job Duties
Employs a structured engineering approach that models the interactions between all components and ensures integration.
Documents and tracks component and system-level performance requirements and develops acceptance criteria for the subsystems and system.
Evaluates competing characteristics between system elements and determines the most effective, integrated system solution.
Evaluates, tests, and analyzes system functionality and subsystem contribution to system function, ensuring that system performance requirements and acceptance criteria are met.
Interfaces with the customer and those responsible for developing, testing, and implementing the system and its elements to ensure that customer expectations are met.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Knowledge of electronic application development tools, techniques, and management.
Formal training or equivalent experience in systems engineering.
Ability to partner with customers and technically direct the efforts of a cross-disciplinary team.
Ability to review and understand end-to-end work processes.
Ability to translate technical terms to layperson's terms and present them to audiences outside of the organization.
Ability to work closely with customers and suppliers to define expectations and mutual responsibilities.
Good understanding of the customers, the concept of operations for the system, and the mission capabilities and characteristics of the system.
(1) BS degree in management information systems or business degree with appropriate technical experience.
(2) The candidate must have excellent verbal, written, planning, and interpersonal skills.
(3) Successful candidates will need to be self-directed, organized, and be able to work independently as well as in a large team environment.
(4) Demonstrated success in creating and maintaining interpersonal and organizational relationships with both internal and customer organizations. Excellent people and political skills with demonstrated experience working and communicating with a diverse group is required.
(5) Demonstrated strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills are required for success.
(6) The ability to handle multiple tasks and handle competing priorities is critical to the job.
(7) A demonstrated record of successfully delivering to a rigorous schedule.
(8) Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE and SCI clearance and may eventually need to pass a counterintelligence polygraph.
(9) A moderate degree of travel is required.
(1) MS degree in management information systems or a Master's degree in business with appropriate technical experience.
(2) Experience producing and complying with various CDRL standards and formats.
(3) Experience with relevant application and mission domains (ground systems/data centers/operations centers, remote sensing, sensor technologies, proliferation detection, monitoring and surveillance).
(4) Experience with large, complex scientific and technical systems development.
(5) Experience/education in system engineering or hardware and software architecture.
(6) An existing SCI security clearance.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
At Sandia you will receive many benefits as a valued employee of a premier national multi-program engineering and science research laboratory. In our Total Rewards package you will enjoy competitive pay, great benefits, a stimulating, positive environment and learning opportunities that will help build your career. More information may be found on our Careers website.
Sandia National Laboratories - 11 months ago