Department: Office of Student Affairs
Supervisor: Assistant Vice President of Campus Life
The University of St Thomas ( www.stthom.edu ), a private university committed to the liberal arts and to the religious and intellectual tradition of catholic higher education is seeking an Assistant Director of Student Activities.
The Assistant Director of Student Activities is responsible for assisting the Assistant Vice President of Campus Life in overseeing the functions of the Student Activities Office. These functions include the planning and implementation of special University events such as Student Orientation and Family Weekend, the advising of student organizations, and the management of the Crooker University Center.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
Student development theory is used to create, plan, and implement educational, social, physical, and cultural programming designed to enhance the overall experience and achievement of both undergraduate and graduate students. These means are accomplished through the following specific duties:
Knowledge and skills required:
- Oversee the day-to-day management of the Crooker University Center.
- Advise student clubs and organizations, including the Student Activities Board and the Council of Clubs.
- Serve as resource and advisor to all students and their organizations, including their organizational advisors; provide assistance in resolving on-going issues.
- Monitor program budgets and control of expenditures.
- Participate actively in campus events in order to support the University community and provide a leadership presence.
- Assist in the recruitment, training and scheduling of student assistants for the Crooker University Center.
- Develop and coordinate all student leadership efforts, including the annual Student Leadership Summit and the Leadership Banquet.
- Coordinate, develop, implement and evaluate the New Student Orientation program for incoming undergraduate and graduate students.
- Supervise the New Student Orientation Leader Team including the selection, training, and evaluation of these students.
- Assess programs and services in order to increase the effectiveness of current programs and services, as well as create new initiatives to better meet student needs.
- Serve on designated university committees.
- Supervise student assistants and a graduate fellow.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Assistant Vice President of Campus Life.
Master's degree in Higher Education or a related field is preferred with a minimum of three years of professional experience in a college or university setting. The candidate must have excellent communicational and organizational skills. Basic computer skills should include word processing, and spreadsheets.
Anticipated Start Date:
June 1, 2013
Position requires irregular office hours including after-hours and weekend work to attend student meetings and events. Office hours will be established in consultation with the Assistant Vice President of Campus Life. Physical requirements are those of a typical office.
This is a full-time, year round, benefit-eligible position. Please send resume and cover letter via email to:
Human Resources - Ref: 0813
University of St. Thomas
3800 Montrose Blvd.
Houston, TX 77006
The University of St. Thomas is an Equal Opportunity Employer
HigherEdJobs - 20 months ago