The Banquet Captain Responsible for executing the plans of the Manager of Outlet Services and supervising the Banquet staff successfully during set-up, service, and breakdown of banquet style events at the Hotel. S/he is also responsible for ensuring the success of the banquets and banquet related food and beverage operations. S/he must follow the required procedures for handling, cleaning, disposing of food and beverages. The Banquet Captain will assist to elevate and maintain Red Lion Seattle Guest Service standards.
The Banquet Captain will always conduct them self in manner which supports the guiding principles of Destination Hotels & Resorts:
Acts with the highest ethical standards, treating others fairly & with respect.
Empower a diverse group of talented and prepared people.
Nurture lasting relationships with investors, customers and team members
Achieve optimum investment performance.
Focus on Continuous improvement of quality assets and services.
Consistently work to balance our lives and contribute positively to our communities.
The Banquet Captain shall strive to provide exceptional service to both internal and external guests at all times. S/he will be responsible for exemplifying the Red Lion Seattle Culture as well as promoting Red Lion Hotel Seattle as both the Destination and Employer of Choice!
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
· Ensure that the standards of service, safety, and cleanliness as defined in the associate’s handbook are maintained by the Captains and staff at all times.
· Assist Manager of Outlet Services with scheduling and payroll.
· Work directly with client contacts and ensure that their service needs are understood and met.
· Understand and accurately follow Banquet Event Orders include planning and coordinating with all department managers involved.
· Able to perform service standards at the level expected by the Red Lion Seattle.
· Train and develop Banquet Captains and staff members to perform their daily routines at the level expected by the Red Lion Seattle.
· Ensure that all banquet service procedures and set-us as specified by the Manager of Outlet Services are understood by the staff and properly followed.
· Responsible for clock in/out and signing in/out with the Banquet Department to include ensuring all Captains and staff follow the same procedure.
· Monitor work assigned to staff members for accuracy, quality, and completed to guest satisfaction.
· Strong attention to detail and overall flow of the banquet space.
· Exhibit proper radio and telephone etiquette to include HotSOS.
· Monitor radio transmissions for all Banquet captains and Staff members and provide a prompt and courteous response to client or staff requests.
· Able to conduct a clear and informative pre and post event meeting when the Manager of Outlet Services is unavailable.
· Maintain communication with the kitchen and coordinate pickup/dispatch of food and beverage items.
· Complete knowledge of correct maintenance and use of equipment. Use storage and equipment only as intended.
· Be familiar with all Hotel services/features and local attractions/activities to respond to guest inquiries accurately.
· Monitor Banquet Captains and staff member check in, check out, and break periods for promptness.
· Know location and condition of all service equipment applicable to events.
· Conduct handoff meeting every shift between opening and closing, concerning event of the day, and status of work load being handed off to the next shift.
· Acquire accurate consumptions on all applicable BEO’s.
· Complete billing and obtain client signatures.
· Be knowledgeable in the particular characteristics/descriptions of wines/sparkling wines ordered by client.
· Check storage areas for proper supplies, organization and cleanliness.
· Inspect the scheduled function area/room for cleanliness, working condition and proper furniture/equipment set up arrival; rectify any deficiencies with respective departments.
· Prepare station assignments for Banquet Captains and Servers according to group requirements and Hotel standards.
· Assign stations and side work to Banquet Captains and Servers in accordance with departmental procedures. Communicate additions or changes to the assignments as they arise throughout the shift.
· Direct Banquet Captains and Servers on timing of service throughout function.
· Constantly monitor staff performance in all phases of service and job functions, ensuring that all procedures are carried out to departmental standards; rectify any deficiencies with respective personnel, when necessary bring to Manager of Outlet Servicess attention.
· Observe guest reactions and confer frequently with service staff to ensure guest satisfaction.
· Ensure that unused food is returned to the Kitchen, that designated condiments are broken down and properly stored (butters, cream, dressings, etc.) and that all Banquet supplies are returned to designated storage areas.
· Direct the final breakdown of function room and clean up. Ensure all department standards are met.
· Along with Department Manager conduct training of staff as assigned.
· Foster and promote a cooperative working climate, maximizing productivity and employee morale.
· Review status of assignments and any follow-up action with Manager and/or on-coming Banquet Captain.
· Ensure and review all closing duties for Banquet Captains are completed before signing out.
· Performs other duties as assigned by Manager of Outlet Services.
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION:
· High school graduate or equivalent vocational training certificate, some college.
· Considerable knowledge of all facets of banquet department, i.e. set-up, tear-down, serving, and paper work.
· Must be 21 years of age to serve alcoholic beverages.
· 2 – 3 years’ experience as a Banquet Captain preferably in the hospitality industry.
· Knowledge of various food service styles (i.e., French service, Russian service, Family Style service, Butler style service).
· Must have good understanding of the English language and able have good communication skills both written and verbal.
· Ability to work in a team environment and be able to communicate clearly and effectively with staff members.
· Must have basic computer skills to include outlook e-mail, excel, and word document.
· Delphi experience preferred.
· Perform job functions with attention to detail, speed, and accuracy while providing excellent customer service and maintain a professional demeanor.
· A clear thinker, remaining calm and resolving problems using good judgment.
· Ability to work cohesively with co-workers as part of a team with minimal supervision.
· Able to maintain confidentiality of guest information and pertinent hotel data, ascertain departmental training needs and provide such training.
· Creative ability to decorate food tables/displays within the décor of the hotel.
· Flexible work schedule and able to work days, nights, weekends, and holidays.
Must be able to work in a variety of weather conditions (rain, wind, snow, sun, heat); Must be able to work indoors or outside; Must be able to stand on feet and walk throughout the day, Must be able to frequently lift and carry up to 50 lbs; Must be able to bend, squat, push, pull frequently; Must be able to climb stairs and walk on uneven surfaces on an occasional basis; · Must be able to perform simple grasping, fine manipulation, and repetitive hand & arm movements frequently, squeezing, overhead reaching occasionally
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He or she will be required to follow other instructions and perform other work-related duties requested by his or her supervisor.
Destination Hotels & Resorts is a privately held lodging management company headquartered in suburban Denver, Colo. With more than 30...