The Hair Stylist is responsible for delivering exceptional customer service while providing the full range of hair care services. Specifically, the hair stylist is expected to:
As a hair stylist, you will be held accountable for these key areas. Successful performance will be measured by meeting or exceeding established minimum productivity requirements.
- Market themselves and grow their business
- Complete required administrative tasks
- Provide exceptional customer service
- Control expenses
- Consistently exhibit and develop technical competence
- Valid current cosmetology license, to include a manager license as required by local (or state/provincial) cosmetology regulation. Position may require the stylist to work alone in the salon.
- Ability to work in a dynamic salon environment.
- Good time management skills, good judgment, and the ability to multi-task.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with Salon Manager, salon staff, Area Supervisor, and clients.
- Ability to read, digest and analyze various reports.
- Mathematical skills to accurately compute and complete required functions.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights and weekends.
1. Market themselves and grow their business
a) Utilize existing business building tools and programs to increase sales, increase customer counts and retain customers;
b) Meet or exceed minimum productivity requirements as established by the company;
c) Promote and sell services and products, including recommending and selling additional services and/or retail products which will enhance and improve the customer’s image and/or contribute to the customer’s satisfaction with services performed;
d) Execute promotional campaigns as directed by the Company;
e) Maintain professional appearance and a positive attitude.
2. Provide exceptional customer service
a) Understand the needs of customers; handle and resolve customer service issues to maintain customer loyalty;
b) Consistently execute customer service programs;
c) Conduct quality consultations by suggesting hairstyles according to physical features of the customer, current styles, or from the customer’s instructions;
d) Communicate to the customer a clear understanding of the pricing before services are performed;
e) Display a sound understanding and perform all available services in a competent, efficient and professional manner.
3. Control expenses
a) Follow weekly salon schedules as directed by Salon Manager;
b) Correctly charge for services rendered and products purchased, including proper discounting according to Company policy;
c) Effective control of salon operating costs relating to back-bar and retail inventories;
d) Safeguard company assets by adhering to company policies and procedures.
4. Consistently exhibit and develop technical competence
a) Conduct comprehensive consultation with each customer;
b) Perform all services that are requested from our customer and offered by the salon in a competent, efficient and professional manner and in compliance with all applicable state and local sanitation rules;
c) Learn and continue to develop technical skills via company provided education.
5. Complete required administrative tasks/compliance
a) Adhere to all corporate policies, procedures and work rules;
b) Ensure closing procedures are adhered to and daily bank deposits are made;
c) Maintain workstation and other salon areas in a sanitary, clean, orderly manner to board certified standards for cleanliness;
d) Perform a variety of tasks related to salon operations, including but not limited to: answering telephones, stocking shelves, taking cycle counts/inventory, and other duties as assigned;
e) Maintain and uphold safety standards by identifying and correcting conditions that affect salon safety;
f) Timely submission of all company required paperwork;
g) Communicate effectively with management, customers and co-workers in a professional and courteous manner;
h) Attend work timely and consistently, including attending mandatory staff meetings, training sessions or as otherwise required by management.
i) Computer knowledge including, but not limited to, point-of-sale systems.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
- Frequent lifting up to 10 lbs. to pick up bottles of product needed to perform hair services and stock retail shelves. Occasional lifting 10-25 lbs. to assist unloading monthly shipment of products.
- Continuous standing throughout the day to perform hair services and other job related functions.
- Continuous walking – greeting the client at the front of the salon and walking them back to the styling chair, to and from the shampoo area, to get supplies needed for the service and walking the client back to the front of the salon.
- Continuous repetitive movement with fingers, hands, wrists and arms using scissors to cut hair, rolling hair in rods to perform perm services, vigorous movement to massage/shampoo client’s hair, twisting wrists to blow dry and styling hair with various irons.
- Continuous grasping of client’s hair, blow dryer, curling iron, combs, and hair coloring brushes in order to perform services.
- Continuous reaching, alternating between shoulder level and above shoulder level height to perform services, stock shelves, retrieve product/supplies from cupboards and shelves.
- Frequent twisting and bending to shampoo client’s hair and twisting to reach for tools while client is seated in styling chair and sweep hair off the floor after service.
- Occasional pushing and pulling to move styling chair.
- Continuous exposure to various chemicals and fragrances used in performing services and styling hair, including but not limited to permanent solutions, straightening solutions, shampoos, conditioners, hair spray and client perfume.
- Occasional climbing of ladder/stepstool to stock shelves, retrieve products, change bi-monthly collateral, and maintain salon.
- Visual observation of customer’s hair, including close vision, color vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to communicate with customers regarding services offered and requested and the customer’s needs and wants.
- Basic reading, writing and mathematical skills necessary to read and complete company forms and other documents, read product instructions and prepare daily close-out documents.
- Occasional travel to mandatory meetings and training sessions, including overnight travel.
Regis is hair, there, and everywhere. The world's biggest hair salon company, Regis owns, franchises, or holds a stake in some 12,600...