The International Human Resources Operations Specialist is a key member of the Corporate HR Operations team responsible for providing HR support to all lines of business that employ international employees and for managing Blackboard’s immigration cases. This position reports directly to the Vice President of HR Operations with a strong partnership with the respective HR business partners and the HR Operations team. This position is responsible for administering international HR operations, and supporting Blackboard’s Human Resources business partners and managers. The International HR Operations Specialist’s work focuses on the delivery of processes and programs for Blackboard’s international employee populations.
The role requires the ability and willingness to complete daily tactical responsibilities, and coach business partners and managers on organizational & people-related issues. This is a consultative role advising business leaders and the HR Business Partners on international employment rules and regulations and is the chief resource supporting day-to-day activities of international HR operations and processes. Specifically, s/he will concentrate work efforts in the following areas:
- Serve as a General Business partner liaison. Functions as internal consultant in supporting HR business partner international HR expertise.
- Manage Blackboard’s US immigration case load and activities as well as any Canada, Netherlands, UK, and Australia cases.
- Serve as the relationship manager and day-to-day contact for the immigration firms in each country as well as for the employees.
- Responsible for Human Resource activities associated with International payroll.
- Partner with the Recruiting team and the appropriate business partner as needed on process for international open positions.
- Partner with Manager, Global Staffing Operations on preparation of new hire employment agreements and contract amendments.
- Design, develop and deliver new hire orientation for all non-US based staff to include guidance on benefits enrollment process.
- Manage Blackboard’s expatriate program and serve as primary point of contact for expatriate employees.
- Serve as key resource and project planner for the employee integration following acquisitions of international companies.
- Research various country specific rules, regulations and programs and set policies and procedures accordingly working in conjunction with Blackboard’s legal counsel.
- Serve as the escalation resource for e-Verify issues.
- Manage probation period tracking/monitoring.
- Responsible for Blackboard business entity set up working with cross function team to evaluate decision and set up of benefits, employment agreement and payroll.
- Monitor HR mailbox for international related communications.
- Educate managers, employees, HR business partners on international nuances and guide them with their decision making.
- Represent international in all aspects of the HR decision making with regards to process/procedures/policy implementation and the like.
- Other duties/special projects as assigned.
- Some travel may be required.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- At least two years of HR administration experience (or one year with a Master’s degree in HR or business) (preferably with an international focus)
- Basic knowledge of HR/personnel practices and principles, and all applicable labor, pay, benefits, health and safety laws and regulations
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and negotiation skills
- Proven ability to modify and adjust individual approach and delivery to fit specific situations
- Proven ability to succeed in an entrepreneurial, service-oriented environment with multiple office locations; experience working with diverse populations.
- Solid business understanding or ability and willingness to learn quickly
- Ability to work independently, exercise discretion, and multi-task in a highly dynamic environment
- Able to handle high level of confidentiality regarding employee information
- Ability to be agile, navigate change, and roll up his/her sleeves to get the work done.
- Demonstrated interest in international business
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook)
- Strong communication and consulting skills.
- Strong influencing skills.
- Employee relations experience preferred\
- Experience in a global work environment
- PeopleSoft HRIS experience
- Familiarity with international employment laws and regulations
Chalk up Blackboard's success to the Internet. Blackboard develops software that lets schools create Internet-based learning programs...