This is an opportunity with the USO of Metropolitan Washington.
Interested applicants should apply using the instructions in the 'details' section of this posting.
Plays a leadership role in planning and implementing all special events to support the USO’s strategic plan and generate the funding, visibility and goodwill necessary to meet the organization’s fundraising, education and advocacy goals.
Works in conjunction with the VPMD to prepare and manage the budget for each event and reconciles expenses and income associated with each activity.
Defines outcomes and measures departmental success of events toward achieving goals.
Trains and supervises one employee.
- Works closely with the VPMD and President to plan, implement and evaluate special event activities of the organization.
- Works with the VPMD and the President to develop and identify new and creative methods for increasing fundraising.
- Works with Communications Manager to coordinate publicity for and maximize event awareness.
- Develops and implements timelines and work plans for each special event.
- Coordinates all aspects of event production, including pre-planning, venue selection, design and printing, script development, invitations and follow up, program development, vendor procurement and management, scheduling, task assignment and fulfillment.
Coordinates with event planning committee, if applicable.
- Maintains databases of event participants including military guests, sponsors and prize donors.
- Maintains accurate records and budgets for events.
- Works with volunteer coordinators to recruit and manage volunteers for special events.
- Designs and creates collateral materials as necessary.
- Conducts debrief meetings and writes detailed reports at the conclusion of each event and maintains a “lessons learned” log.
- Secures donations of in-kind items for live and silent auctions and manages the auction process.
- Other duties as assigned.
- USO of Metropolitan Washington Annual Awards Dinner
- USO of Metropolitan Salute to Military Chefs
- AFCEA DC/USO of Metropolitan Washington Golf Tournament
- USO of Metropolitan Washington Stars & Stripes Benefit for the Troops
- USO Riverfest Gala
- Firecracker 5K for the Troops
- Various Military Appreciation Events
- Other opportunities that arise throughout the year
Areas of Competency:
- Excellent writing, proofreading, and verbal communication skills.
- Polished and professional organizational and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- Must be detail oriented, organized, flexible and self motivated.
- Able to manage multiple tasks and remain calm in hectic situations.
- Above average problem solving skills.
- Understanding of basic financial accounting and excel spreadsheets.
- Ability to interact with various groups including board of directors, senior corporate leaders and Department of Defense and high level military officials, celebrities and volunteers.
- Ability to creatively respond to unplanned events; flexibility and willingness to work on various projects as needed.
- Polished communication skills with ability to interact with diplomacy and tact in public, and with board and staff.
- Public relations experience a plus.
- Experience coordinating, supervising volunteers.
- Able to work weekends and evenings as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience and/or certifications in event planning with emphasis on marketing and public relations.
- A minimum of five years related work experience in a non-profit or military setting.
- Experience managing personnel and volunteers.
- Demonstrated proficiency in various computer software programs including Microsoft Office 2000, Publisher, Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and event management software.
- Knowledge of the USO and its programs and services a plus.
- This high visibility position is offered with a competitive compensation package including base salary and superb benefits.
- Please note: This is a position of USO of Metro DC. Applications or resume submittals for this position are not accepted through this site. Interested and qualified candidates should submit their resumes in confidence. to: