Develop and implement application software systems for internal customer divisions. Supports software applications developed, by troubleshooting and enhancing them when appropriate.
Education and Experience:
Any combination of training, education and experience equivalent to a Bachelor degree in Computer Science or a related field and a minimum of two years experience in software development, system analysis or design, testing and implementing software applications.
Equivalent years of experience is equal to two years of relevant experience for every one year of education required.
Licensing, Certifications and Other Requirements:
A valid driver license with no major driving citations in the last 39 months may be required.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on division/service assignment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Object-oriented principles and programming techniques.
Systems analysis and design.
Open systems procedures, operations, data flow, and maintenance.
Safeguards and security procedures and protocols.
Web development tools such as Microsoft ASP.NET
Object-oriented programming language(s) such as C#
Relational database system(s) such as Microsoft SQL Server.
Microsoft Windows operating system and related Microsoft Office software programs.
Make independent judgments or decisions on technical programming challenges.
Work with algorithms, mathematical calculations and be able to draw logical conclusions in solving problems.
Display a good knowledge of object-oriented programming techniques and methodologies.
Provide thoughtful and thorough analysis and design of City processes.
Make oral and written presentations of system analysis, design and operational data in a clear, concise and non-technical manner.
Coordinate and work with project management on all aspects of application development projects to ensure timely completion.
Listen and communicate effectively with a diverse group of people.
Communicate with users orally, in person, and on the telephone to solve concerns and recommend alternatives.
Display confidence in abilities to users.
Comprehend and make inferences from written material and oral direction.
Proficiently utilize Office software in performance of job.
Attend or conduct various meetings as needed.
Establish and maintain effective working relationships with City staff and the general public.
Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area within a division(s) which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following tasks:
• Develops software utilizing object-oriented principles and programming techniques.
• Designs effective software applications that include good user interface design, follows City standards for development and considers multi-tiered architectural solutions.
• Works with internal customer divisions to understand their needs for automated systems, prepares technical specifications and recommends options to stakeholders.
• Develops or works with Integration staff to provide custom reports and report modules, including the creation of advanced queries for ad hoc reports used in conjunction with custom software developed applications.
• Works with Database Administrator to access and manipulate data, including merging data from separate data sources with different data models.
• Researches, tests and recommends modifications of new releases of custom software before installation on all City computers.
• Works with Integration staff to train users on the use of custom software applications.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Most work is performed in a normal City office environment.
- Lift and carry computers and materials weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Operate a variety of standard office equipment including a computer terminal, telephone, calculator, copy and fax machine requiring continuous and repetitive arm, hand and eye movement.
- Travel to/from meetings and various City locations.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.