Full time (40 hrs/week, 1.0 FTE) position located at our west side Administrative Offices.
Administrative Assistant – Department
Corporate Strategy & Compliance
POSITION SUMMARY: The Administrative Assistant – Department is primarily responsible to provide administrative support for the Corporate Strategy & Compliance Officer. Responsibilities include assisting in the coordination of strategic planning activities and related document development. Additionally, the incumbent performs activities related to the Patient Safety Network (PSN) database. Other duties may include but are not limited to answering telephones and screening calls, scheduling meetings and managing calendars, assisting in preparation of reports and materials, organizing department administrative operations and filing systems, and preparing memos, letters and presentations. The Administrative Assistant receives primary guidance, direction and general supervision from the Corporate Strategy & Compliance Officer.
The incumbent knows and abides by all Group Health Cooperative of South Central Wisconsin (GHC-SCW) organizational and departmental policies, sets personal standards and strives for high quality work in completing assignments, performs job duties in a timely manner, and represents the organization in a positive manner. The incumbent understands our Mission, Vision and Common Values (stated below) and is committed to promote these values in behavior and attitude.
Our Mission Statement: To provide accessible, comprehensive, high quality healthcare and outstanding service in an efficient and personalized manner on a prepaid basis to persons in the GHC-SCW service area.
Our Vision: To be a leader among HMO’s in providing high-quality medical care, impeccable service and competitive benefit levels and premium rates.
Our Common Values:
JOB SPECIFIC QUALIFICATIONS
- Patient Centered: When health insurers and health care providers are brought together under one roof, we are better together. Our care team model focuses on supporting the needs of our patients/members and providing the best in safe, high quality coordinated health care. Members and their providers participate in making meaningful decisions that lead to better outcomes.
- Quality Driven: When members and their providers each participate meaningfully in the decisions that lead to better health care, we are better together. GHC-SCW continues its tradition of providing proactive health promotion and disease management outreach to our members to consistently achieve high quality health care accreditation.
- Innovation: When we work to lift each other up, show appreciation and collaborate in the best interests of the member, we are better together. GHC-SCW has made innovative advancements which include the implementation of an electronic medical records system (EMR) and GHC-SCW MyChartSM, access to innovative Complementary Medicine benefits and Wellness reimbursement services.
- Community Involved: When we join with our community to further the causes for which we share a common concern, we are better together. We are proud to promote programs that strengthen lives, and make our community a safer, stronger and healthier place to live and grow. GHC-SCW employees share their time and talent; and we recognize that the value of what we give is also what we gain – for our employees, our members and our community.
- Not for Profit Cooperative: When we share a common purpose, a common voice and a common vision, we are better together. We use our surpluses to improve clinics, enhance health care benefits and give back to the community. Our members, not our profits, are our priority. We have a unique “cooperative” governance structure which works directly for our members.
1. High school graduation or equivalent required. Post high school education in business science or related field preferred.
2. A minimum of two (2) years of secretarial / administrative experience in an office environment including customer service. Direct experience in a healthcare environment is highly desirable. Experience with planning or event planning preferred but not required.
3. Knowledge of and proven proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office applications including extensive knowledge of Word, Outlook, Excel and Power Point is required.
4. Ability to learn and effectively use multiple computer systems and software including GHC-SCW’s Patient Safety Network (PSN) database used to fulfill job responsibilities required.
5. Excellent organizational skills, prioritization skills, and analytical and problem solving ability required. Ability to pay attention to details and to manage multiple tasks.
6. Ability to type 40 WPM with minimal errors and to design general correspondence, memos, reports, charts, tables, graphs, etc. required.
7. Ability to proofread copies for spelling, grammar, and layout, and make appropriate changes required. Responsible for accuracy and clarity of final copy. Knowledge and proficiency with English punctuation, grammar and spelling required.
8. Accurate data entry skills required
9. Fine manual dexterity required. Ability to use a keyboard extensively required.
10. Outstanding verbal and written communication skills including ability to provide telephone support to deal courteously and effectively with external parties, compliance and regulatory officials, practitioners and other internal staff and the general public required. Ability to be culturally sensitive and work with diverse populations.
11. Ability to maintain organizational, personnel related and patient confidentiality required. Knowledge of or ability to learn HIPAA privacy requirements
12. Ability to establish and maintain alphabetical and numerical files in an accurate manner.
13. Ability to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities and assignments.
14. Ability to work with minimal supervision required. Ability to work in an office environment required.
15. Ability to bend, reach, lift, pull, and carry up to 20 lbs regularly required.
16. Ability to speak and listen in person and on the phone required.
17. Ability to perform fingering and handling with one or both hands required.
18. Ability to see mid, near, and far range required.
- Ability to treat others with dignity, respect, and courtesy required.
- Ability to follow operating procedures and practices to ensure the highest level of patient/ member safety and care.
- Ability to maintain patient, employee, and proprietary confidentiality required.
- Ability to consistently meet or exceed customer expectations in performing own work required.
- Ability to use effective customer service techniques and effective interpersonal skills required.
- Ability to act professionally and remain calm in stressful situations required.
- Ability to communicate effectively in-person and in all forms of communication required.
- Ability to work and problem solve independently as well as an integral part of a team required.
- Ability to pay attention to detail required
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to changing situations required.
- Ability to adhere to punctuality/attendance standards required.
- Ability to provide professional image as outlined in the professional casual dress policy required.
Team Player –I am willing to contribute and collaborate in an open and honest manner for the benefit of my work group, my department, and the organization.
Positive Attitude –I use positive thinking at work. Thinking positively involves phrases such as “I can,” “I will,” “I am able,” “I am ready,” “I will try my best.”
Respectful –I respect our members/customers privacy. I am open to the views and issues of others. I respect my work group as we work together daily.
Dependable –I am a reliable and trustworthy source of information for my customers and co-workers. I strive to anticipate their needs, to be supportive, and to be available when needed.
Knowledgeable –I will remain current within my field, share my knowledge with others, and continuously look at ways to innovate and improve.
Helpful to Others –I build positive and professional relationships with customers and co-workers and make myself available to help others.
Flexible –I am willing to adapt to the changing needs of the organization and my team in response to new information, changing conditions, or unexpected obstacles.
Honest –I hold myself and others accountable to be truthful and straightforward even when it seems difficult.
SUPERVISED BY: Corporate Strategy and Compliance Officer
SUPERVISES: This position does not supervise subordinate staff.
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Perform Business and Corporate Planning Activities. 35%
a. Maintains strict confidentiality of all sensitive and confidential information.
b. Assists with updating of strategic plans and Annual Report on Performance for GHC-SCW.
c. Assist with preparing and planning the Business and Strategic Plan and Board of Directors Retreat, as directed.
d. Gathers data and information to be included in the strategic planning process, under direction,.
e. Assists in the preparation of reports and supporting materials of the Board and Board Committee meetings, as assigned.
f. Assist with the preparation and distribution of the Executive Director’s Annual Report, as directed.
g. Prepare and mail Business and Corporate planning materials along with related documents, as directed.
h. Gathers GHC-SCW performance highlights of the Annual Performance Report to the Board of Directors.
i. Coordinates and creates presentation quality documents, reports and AV materials such as PowerPoint presentations including the GHC-SCW Strategic Plan and GHC-SCW Performance Report document. Ensures documents, materials and reports are proof-read for format and correct spelling/grammar.
j. Coordinates and gathers data and information, and updates, as appropriate, Senior Management individual and collective goal reports.
2. Database Management and Maintenance. 25%
a. Enter and update the Compliance Calendar database.
b. Enter new access and demographic information in the Patient Safety Network (PSN) database.
c. Maintain and update changes in PSN database and assist with training, as directed.
d. Audit databases for duplication, scan documents and review incoming data for entry.
e. Enter data and maintain additional databases, as assigned.
f. Process data bimonthly reports for the Employee Health and Safety Committee.
3. Provide administrative support and assistance to the Corporate Strategy & Compliance Officer. Duties may include: 30%
a. Updates the department calendar and the Organization Compliance Calendar.
b. Work to update and maintain the Corporate Strategy and Compliance intranet site, as directed.
c. Handle sensitive material in a confidential manner in conjunction with management; to include updating materials for the GHC-SCW Organizational Dashboard and other measurement tools as requested.
d. Compose and/or prepare letters, memos, presentations and reports using word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software applications. Perform general communication and proofing duties as required.
e. Schedule meetings and coordinate various complex schedules using the telephone and personal computer, confirming date, time and place of meetings with attendees, as directed.
f. Facilitate smooth and efficient coordination of meetings including preparing and sending out agendas, reserving rooms, ordering food and occasionally taking and distributing minutes.
g. Attend meetings to help with setup, arrangements for food/catering, equipment setup and cleanup, minute taking, as requested.
h. Greet external and internal visitors and guests. Inform appropriate staff member of arrival.
i. Maintains office records and files including confidential materials. Copy letters, memos, reports and other documents for distribution and record keeping.
j. As assigned, occasionally provide assistance with mailings and distributions through collating, printing and photocopying materials and stuffing envelopes. Prepare mailing labels and related materials. Prepare folders, binders and packets for Corporate Strategy and Compliance related activities including mailings to Board members and others.
k. Insure adequate office supplies and materials for department administration. Order supplies as needed.
l. Answer phone calls, answer questions as appropriate, transfer calls, take accurate messages.
m. Take and prepare meeting minutes and send out to participants and others as requested.
n. Interact well with all GHC-SCW departments and external groups/ individuals representing Corporate Strategy and Compliance management in a highly professional manner. Assist in facilitating regular communication between key GHC-SCW departments.
o. Assist in budget preparation and processing of invoices for payment. Track all invoices and expenses. Monitor budget variances.
p. Provide updates regularly to the Corporate Strategy and Compliance Officer and other department team members as assigned.
q. Participate in staff meetings and planning sessions as assigned.
4. Performance of other duties as assigned. 10%
OTHER FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Provision of department/team support to maintain a pleasant work environment.
Performance of other duties as assigned.
- Look for ways to support others in their work.
- Develop and maintain cooperative work relationships.
- Approach individuals directly regarding suggestions and concerns and provide constructive feedback.
- Attend and participate in department/team meetings.
To comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), which prohibits discrimination against qualified individuals on the basis of disability, it is necessary to specify the physical and environmental conditions of the essential duties of the job. The demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Stay current with company, department and job-specific information necessary to perform job.
- Keep GHC-SCW’s work environment clean and organized.
- Report suspicious, unethical or illegal conduct and cooperate with approved investigations and inspections.
1. Check the frequency and number of hours a day the worker is required to do the following specific types of activities:
ACTIVITY FREQUENCY APPROX # OF HOURS A DAY
CONTINUOUS INTERMITTENT 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 8+
a. Sitting x X
b. Walking x x
c. Standing x x
d. Bending x x
e. Squatting x x
f. Climbing x x
g. Kneeling x x
h. Twisting x x
i. Lifting x x
0-20 lbs. 20-30 lbs. 40-60 lbs. Over 60 lbs.
2a. HAND MANIPULATION REQUIRED? __x__Yes (If yes, complete a,b,c,d,e) _____No
Fine manual dexterity required.
2b. Repetitive hand movements? ____x_Yes _____No
Ability to use a keyboard extensively required.
2c. Simple Grasping? Right Hand__x___
Yes__x___ No_____ Left Hand__x___
2d. Power Grasping?
2e. Pushing Pulling? Right Hand__x___
Yes__x___ No_____ Left Hand__x___
2f. Fine manipulation: Right Hand__x___
Yes___x__ No_____ Left Hand__x___
3. (a) Does the job require worker to reach or work above the shoulder? ___x_Yes _____No Frequency: Occasionally
(b) Reaching at or below shoulder level? __x__Yes _____No _____Frequency: Occasionally
4. Does the job require use of his/her feet to operate foot controls or _____Yes ___x__No
for repetitive movement?
5. Are there special visual or auditory requirements? ___x__Yes _____No
Describe: Working with computer terminal
Ability to see near, mid and far range required.
a. Does the employee work near moving mechanical parts; in high, precarious places; and in outside weather conditions? ______Yes ___x___No
b. Is the employee exposed to fumes or airborne particles? ______Yes ___x___No
BIO-HAZARD EXPOSURE RISK:
This position requires job related duties that may include exposure to biohazards such as blood, bodily fluids and tissues. ______Yes ___x___No
Job descriptions represent a general outline of job duties, functions, and qualifications. They are not intended to be comprehensive in nature. In addition, jobs evolve over time and therefore their description may not reflect the precise nature of the position at a given point in time.
To perform this job successfully, and incumbent must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
GHI is a statewide not-for-profit health insurer serving New Yorkers since 1937. GHI and its wholly-owned subsidiary, GHI HMO, provide...