Bachelor of Science
Minimum 3 years experience working in a related field
The practice manager is responsible for workflow, performance, regulatory compliance, and the overall management of clinic operations to achieve expert care, superb service, and maximal physician/staff productivity. This person works closely with the Medical Practices Division regarding strategic planning, program development, continuous quality improvement and financial/budget reporting and monitoring.
1. Bachelor’s degree and 3 – 5 years managing a physician’s office preferred. Other combinations of education and experience may be considered.
2. CMPE preferred.
3. Proven ability to take initiative, exercise independent judgment, and proactively problem-solve.
4. Ability to maintain harmonious working relationships while addressing complex and sensitive administrative issues.
5. Experience in planning, organizing, delegating and supervising a physician’s office or similar entity.
6. Skill in researching, preparing, interpreting and presenting comprehensive reports.
7. Knowledge of health care administration practices.
8. Knowledge of computer systems and medical software and applicants.
9. Knowledge of government and reimbursement regulation and requirements and HIPAA guidelines.
1. Directs and ensures the day-to-day operating needs of the practice including but not limited to patient services, billing, coding, staff concerns, facilities maintenance, marketing, physician coordination and support, and financial functions.
2. Ensures optimum patient services from initial contact to close of services. Is responsive to patient concerns, fosters an environment of immediate service recovery and transparency for patient billing, questions and problems. Drives culture to improve patient experience, service and access.
3. Proactively partners with Human Resources in the areas of employee relations, corrective action, performance management, recruiting, compensation, benefits and HR policies. Works closely with HR to develop job descriptions and job standards for each position; monitors for accuracy. Conducts annual performance appraisals according to HR guidelines. Provides regular, scheduled feedback to employees regarding their performance.
4. Establishes processes to ensure the all employees are properly trained for their positions and develops cross training opportunities as warranted. Assures continued education as needed. Holds monthly staff meetings as well as monthly provider meetings, which allow for addressing clinic wide issues, involving staff in seeking solutions to practice problems, and provide information regarding corporate issues.
5. Directs budget process for the clinic. Monitors, provides statistical reporting and implements changes necessary to comply with budget, maximize revenues and maintain adequate cash flow.
6. Directs the timely, accurate coding and submission of claims. Processes clinic accounts payable invoices in a timely manner for prompt payment of creditors.
7. Oversees systems to manage medical records in the clinic. Provides for efficient and consistent chart setup. Works with providers to ensure accurate documentation of services and medical information. Protects patient confidentiality in all transactions. Follows applicable records retention and destruction guidelines.
8. Monitors and ensures compliance with all required legal requirements and governmental reporting regulations. Directs preparation of information requested and monitors clinic practices for exposure.
9. Supports the activities and needs of the practice physicians and providers by providing appropriate resources, scheduling, recruiting and compensation oversight. Conducts meetings including Physician Governance Committee and specialty specific.
10. Works with Director, hospital administration and on-site providers to ensure the highest standards of practice performance by providing timely information regarding current status of clinic by suggesting future plan of action to improve overall clinic practice.