NEW YORK AIR NATIONAL GUARD
DIVISION OF MILITARY & NAVAL AFFAIRS (MNHF)
LATHAM, NY 12110-2224
SELECTION PROCESS WILL BE IAW DMNA 690-4, CHAPTER 6
POSITION TITLE AND NUMBER:
T13-143A, INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SPECIALIST (POLICY PLAN), D1847000, GS-2210-11
174TH ATKW, SYRACUSE, NY 13211
3D090, 3D190, 3D1X1, 3D1X2, 3D1X3, 3D0X1, 3D0X2, 3D0X3
11 FEB 2013
11 MAR 2013
NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED:
This is an excepted position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the New York Air National Guard. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform. Acceptance of an excepted position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment.
This position is located in the Plans and Resources Flight of a Base Communications Squadron.
OPEN AREAS OF CONSIDERATION:
ALL MILITARY TECHNICIANS IN THE NEW YORK AIR NATIONAL GUARD, ALL MEMBERS OF THE NEW YORK AIR NATIONAL GUARD (INCLUDES AGR).
- Must already be a member of the NY Air National Guard.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
Back to top
The purpose of this position is to serve as a technical advisor to local installation information technology (IT) and communications users in the area of policy and plans as related to IT and communications systems. This involves planning, development, management, and enforcement of approved ANG and local information technology (IT) and communications architecture. Serves at the lead manager of IT and communications projects, acquisition and control of equipment and services at Flying Wing, tenants and geographically separated units if assigned. Sixty percent of the work performed involves Information Technology issues and systems with the remaining forty percent involving telecommunications specific issues and systems.
Back to top
In order to meet the minimum qualifications for this INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SPECIALIST (POLICY PLAN)
position, you must meet the following criteria.
Experience, education or training that has provided a basic knowledge of data processing functions and general management principles that enabled the applicant to understand the stages required to automate a work process. Experience may have been gained in work such as computer operator or assistant, computer sales representative, program analyst, or other positions that required the use or adaptation of computer programs and systems.
Must have at least 36 months experience, education, or training that approaches techniques and requirements appropriate to an assigned computer applications area or computer specialty area in an organization. Experience planning the sequence of actions necessary to accomplish the assignment where this entailed coordination with others outside the organizational unit and development of project controls. Experience that required adaptations of guidelines or precedents to meet the needs of the assignment. Experience preparing documentation on cost/benefit studies where is involved summarizing the material and organizing it in a logical fashion.
SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION FOR SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE:
At the GS-11 level, a Ph.D. or equivalent, or 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree.
Candidates will be evaluated on the basis of the KSA's listed below. Applicants are encouraged to address the KSA's in their application or resume or by submitting a supplemental statement with their application. Written response to each KSA will ensure that specialized experience criteria is recognized and credited.
1. Knowledge of a wide range of IT principles, concepts, methods, advancements, policies, design, development, testing and applications, both hardware and software sufficient to assess the organization's IT business requirements.
2. Knowledge of the organization's policy and planning formulation process along with its missions, goals, and objectives to prepare IT polices and plans.
3. Knowledge of organizational acquisition requirements, budgetary techniques, and financial status sufficient to identify needs and recommend adjustment of IT funding priorities.
4. Knowledge of management requirements sufficient to render recommendations on development of new software vers u s purchase of off-the-shelf programs.
5. Knowledge of systems architecture, integration techniques, and testing methods sufficient to conduct feasibility studies.
6. Ability to develop IT policies and plans and to assess impact of changed policy on the organization's current IT plans and programs.
7. Ability to perform feasibility studies, perform cost analysis review, develop investment plans, and recommend a best course of action along with suitable alternatives.
8. Ability to review and consult on IT and communications related contracts and to serve as a technical representative on IT and communications systems and service contracts.
MILITARY REQUIREMENTS: Selected candidates will be required to be in a compatible military grade and assignment prior to the effective date of placement.
Compatible Military Assignments:
3D090, 3D190, 3D1X1, 3D1X2, 3D1X3, 3D0X1, 3D0X2, 3D0X3
YOU MUST ALREADY BE A MEMBER OF THE NEW YORK AIR NATIONAL GUARD TO BE ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION.
In order for your application to be considered, you need to submit the following document:
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the job requirements. To determine if you are qualified for this job, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the occupational questionnaire. The numeric rating you receive is based on your responses to the questionnaire. The score is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the knowledge, skills and abilities required of this position. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience your score can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating and eligibility.
All qualified applicants will be forwarded to the selecting official, unless there are more than seven qualified applicants. In this case, the evaluation procedures in
DMNA PAM 690-4, Chapter 5
will be used to further screen candidates prior to referral. A panel of three members will be appointed to rate the candidates using the KSA factors. Experience will be evaluated in terms of type and quality in relation to the requirements of the position. Length of service or experience will only be used when there is a clear relationship with quality of performance or when necessary to break ties when all other ratings are equal.
Following the determination of basic eligibility of the candidates as outlined in
DMNA PAM 690-4, Chapter 5,
qualified applicants will be referred to the selection official in the following sequence:
All excepted service technicians in the New York Army National Guard for Army technician vacancies and all excepted service technicians in the New York Air National Guard for Air technician vacancies, working at the location specified in the job announcement where the vacancy exists.
All currently employed excepted service technicians in either the New York Army or New York Air National Guard.
Qualified members of the New York National Guard (Army or Air), to include AGR personnel and temporary and Indefinite technicians, or other individuals who are willing to become members of the New York Army or Air National Guard.
* If there are fewer than three qualified applicants in Category I, then qualified applicants from Category II, III will be forwarded to the selection official, in sequential order, to provide at least three qualified applicants.
Back to top
Explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees at
Under 32 USC 709, Veterans Preference does NOT apply.
For a complete list of Job Vacancy Announcements available at the New York National Guard, please visit our website at
HOW TO APPLY:
Back to top
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on
Monday, March 11, 2013.
To begin the process. click the Apply Online button to create an account or log in to your existing USA JOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the assessment questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Answers button at the end of the process. Note: To return to a previously Saved or incomplete application you may use the following link:
. To fax supporting documents you are unable to upload, complete this cover page
using the following Vacancy ID: 840659. Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144.
If you cannot apply online:
1. Click the following link to view and print the assessment questionnaire
View Occupational Questionnaire
2. Print this 1203FX form to provide your response to the assessment questionnaire
3. Fax the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documentation to 1-478-757-3144. Your 1203 FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.
Please do not send/fax/courier/email any applications or supporting documentation to the New York National Guard Human Resource Office, you must apply on-line or fax your application to the fax number listed on this announcement with the prescribed Cover Letter. The Human Resource Office can only process materials received through USA Jobs.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
(Your resume MUST detail your length of general and specialized experience that pertains to the job you are applying for)
A complete Assessment Questionnaire
(Your assessment questionnaire MUST contain an email address)
are required if you are using education to qualify. An unofficial transcript is acceptable.
4. Other supporting documents may include: (
- Flight Records
- Qualification Certificates
- DD 214
- Seperate document supporting KSA's.
- Military Biography
- SF 50
- Letters of Recommendation
- Awards (military and/or technician)
AGENCY CONTACT INFO:
New York National Guard
330 OLD NISKAYUNA ROAD
ATTN SANNING PINGITORE
The mission of the United States Air Force is to fly, fight and win...in air, space and cyberspace. To achieve that mission, the Air Force...