The primary responsibility of this role is to engage senior executives at small and medium-sized manufacturing companies both to ensure service delivery and to conduct membership renewal interactions. Account Directors conduct consistent and meaningful phone and web-based interactions with association members and are evaluated against renewal rates, dues base growth and service metrics.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
Typical day-to-day activities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Through heavy outbound telephone and electronic communication efforts, the Account Director's primary goal is to create and deliver value for member organizations.
- Building relationships with members / prospects through understanding specific member needs and applying knowledge of association services.
- Utilize warm- and cold-call techniques to drive a high volume of structured, phone-based member interactions.
- Educate members / prospects on the benefits of association membership through compelling articulation of the membership model and value proposition.
- Create semi-custom service plans for members, based on their individual needs and deadlines.
- Collaborate with policy team and other association staff to ensure targeted and substantive delivery of membership services.
- Work with member company executives to maintain engagement and activity levels to drive membership renewals.
- Maintain a current view into membership pool and renewal pipeline, including scheduled interactions and recommendations for service steps.
- Determine appropriate tactics to drive urgency in the sales cycle, including special offers, engagements, meetings / teleconferences or discounts.
- Documenting progress, opportunities and contacts by capturing the information from NAMIS.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing or relevant field with 3-5 years of experience in inside sales and/or account management. A background or strong interest in politics and business policy issues is highly desirable. Must be able to meet personal and team weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual financial goals. Prior political fundraising experience is preferred. Excellent relationship-building skills and transactional sales experience. Exceptional written and oral communication skills are essential.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear, to use a telephone and a computer keyboard.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
Judgment - Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
Motivation - Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
Initiative - Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
Sales ability - Demonstrates understanding of professional sales approaches and techniques including the non-tangible product sale; is knowledgeable about the products and services offered to prospects and members; Speaks persuasively, listens to and overcomes objections; Follows up appropriately.