Veolia Water Solutions & Technologies North America, Inc (Veolia) is currently seeking an Environmental Chemist to work in our Camden, NJ office.
Veolia Water Solutions & Technologies North America, Inc (Veolia) is an industry leader in providing water and wastewater solutions to industrial and municipal customers. Veolia Water provides water services through public-private partnerships and industrial outsourcing agreements and is comprised of the top water professionals in every corner of the globe. Our parent company, Veolia Environment (VE), is a world leader in environmental services. VE is based in France and is comprised of four business segments that serve the environmental needs of customers globally: Veolia Water, Veolia Environmental Services, Veolia Energy, and Veolia Transportation.
The Environmental chemist is responsible for the daily management and operation of the Biothane Wastewater Treatment Lab, pilot and full scale start-up operations, and general technical assistance/resource to the Biothane technology team.
Specific Areas of Responsibility include but are not limited to:
• Oversee field pilot operations to include assistance in field pilot set-up, training of operations personnel, review of pilot data and process recommendations to owner, weekly conference calls with owner, site troubleshooting visits if required, final pilot reports.
• Full scale start-ups to include writing of O&M manuals; assistance in final clean water check-out; training of owner operator personnel on biology, chemistry, laboratory, and general process; determination of start-up loading schedule; on site assistance to owner operations team on start-up of supplied wastewater treatment facility;
• General troubleshooting of existing Biothane wastewater facilities.
• Technical reviews via experience and literature searches on difficult wastewaters as required to provide information on possible treatment methods.
• Assist Biothane technology team in general wastewater process related work.
• Work with engineering department as required in incorporating field experience into engineering design phase for future projects. Potential for light project engineering work when time allows.
• Travel to site is required for pilots and full scale start-ups which can range from 1 to 4 weeks on site at a time.
• Responsible for safe and efficient daily lab operation.
• Assure laboratory test materials are purchased and report monthly laboratory expenditures.
• Coordinate and prepare weekly data summary reports.
• Ensure laboratory documentation is maintained through review and audits.
• Planning and supervising the daily operation of a production laboratory to insure that schedules are maintained and deadlines are met. Determining workload, delegating assignments, training, monitoring and reviewing work performance for quality, accuracy and completeness.
• Assisting with the testing; includes characterizing industrial wastewater, solids and sludge samples using wet chemistry test methods such as COD, Suspended Solids, Kjeldahl Nitrogen, Ammonia, Phosphate and Sulfate and others.
• GC testing for Volatile Fatty acid testing.
• Working closely with Process Department staff to define and develop testing protocol for in house pilot studies.
• Develop testing protocol for in house, fermentation / digestion pilot studies.
• Writing lab reports to go out to customers
Bachelors (or equivalent) degree in Chemistry, Biology or the Environmental Sciences plus a minimum 2-5 years experience in anaerobic and/or aerobic wastewater treatment general operations and/or technology.
Technical writing skills required.
Candidates must be familiar with operation and maintenance of routine standard wet chemistry lab equipment.
Exceptional organizational and time management skills and the ability to multitask are required.
This individual must work efficiently under deadlines to deliver results on time
Qualified candidates will be able to troubleshoot routine instrument and test method problems and have a working knowledge of use of computers.
The ability to organize, communicate and teach science and technical details with others at all skill levels an effective manner and the ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing are required.
The successful candidate will possess the ability to establish and maintain effective individual and team based working relationships and to professionally interact with all levels of the organization positively & effectively required.
The chosen candidate must be able to obtain a TWIC Card.
Veolia Water - 10 months ago
Veolia ES Solid Waste Services is cleaning up in the waste management market. A unit of Veolia Environmental Services North America, the...