The position provides database, web server and application administration, enterprise systems maintenance, and technical user support in a multi-tiered 24×7 environment. The Database and Application Administrator is responsible for life cycle administration including installation, upgrades, patches and maintenance for database and application software. The position works as part of a team for the development, implementation, and ongoing support of enterprise application software systems. The Database and Application Administrator diagnoses, troubleshoots, consults, and resolves problems with complex systems in an enterprise database/web server environment. The position is responsible for ensuring the availability, scalability, and backup and recovery of enterprise systems. The Database and Application Administrator develops implements, and maintains appropriate monitoring to ensure high system availability and maximum performance and security for critical enterprise systems, as well as developing and/or coding software for operating systems and system utilities to assist in the support of the environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, information systems or related field.
- Excellent troubleshooting and analytical skills.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Ability, interest, desire and experience to quickly learn, understand and utilize new technologies, systems and products.
- Excellent communication skills and interpersonal and team collaboration skills.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks concurrently and meet deadlines.
- Basic understanding of HTML , XML , SSL , Java, JDBC .
- Familiarity with Linux or UNIX operating systems.
- Experience with or knowledge of Oracle, PostgreSQL or MySQL database administration.
- Experience with or knowledge of Apache Tomcat and/or Apache HTTP Administration.
- Knowledge of Bash or other scripting language.
- Experience supporting java-based applications.
- Experience working with SunGard Higher Education Banner products installation/upgrade procedures.
Must have a criminal background check
Must have a conviction check:
How to Apply for this Job:
Applicants must complete the online faculty application at www.jobs.vt.edu Posting #0100000 and submit a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references as attachments to that application. For full consideration, candidates are encouraged to apply by the review date of March 1, 2011.
Administrative and Professional Faculty
If restricted or temporary, enter end date:
Exempt: Not eligible for overtime
Academic Year or Calendar Year:
If part time, enter Percent Time:
Commensurate with Experience
Database & Application Admin
Location, if not Blacksburg:
Job Posting Date:
Review Begin Date:
Job Close Date:
Restricted to university employees only?
Virginia Tech has a strong commitment to the principle of diversity, and in that spirit seeks a broad spectrum of candidates including women, minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities. Individuals with disabilities desiring accommodations in the application process should notify the hiring department by the application deadline.
Virginia Tech - 20 months ago