This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Laboratory and Genomic Medicine. Work is performed in a clinical laboratory with exposure to body fluids and chemical hazards. Must be physically able to wear protective equipment. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
Position performs routine and complex assays on clinical specimens, including but not limited to: blood, stool, body fluids, and bacterial isolates. Performs both manual and automated and both culture-based and molecular methods pertinent to clinical microbiology.
1. Performs routine and complex assays according to laboratory Standard Operating Procedures. Includes routine maintenance and troubleshooting of instruments and equipment. Oversees all daily operations of the laboratory, including inventory, and ordering of supplies. Researches and recommends new methods, materials, and procedures to maintain or improve upon current capabilities, quality and standards.
2. Reviews assay data. Solves routine problems without supervisory assistance. Participates in complex problem resolution.
3. Serves as a resource to medical technologists, Pathology Residents, Microbiology Fellows, Infectious Disease Fellows and others who may be working in/rotating through the laboratory. Trains new employees as needed.
4. Assists with the development and validation of new assays. Assists with updates and the development of procedure manuals. Utilizes spreadsheet and word processing programs.
5. Participates in clinical trials/device trials, including oversight of all documentation and adherence to protocols as required by the sponsor for the study device. Participates in lab study processes, maintaining records and preparing reports as required.
6. Complies with all regulatory and client requirements for testing and documentation.
7. Demonstrates a general understanding of assay methods and clinical relevance.
8. Assist supervisor with other duties and special projects as needed.
9. Performs a variety of assays for research purposes related to diagnostic microbiology, including but not limited to: culture of clinical specimens, isolation of microorganisms, microorganism identification, antimicrobial susceptibility testing, molecular strain typing, other molecular methods, other types of microbial characterization.
Bachelor’s degree in Medical Technology or equivalent or Associate’s degree (MLT) with at least 5 years relevant clinical laboratory experience and demonstrated advanced skills
Demonstrated advanced skills in medical/clinical microbiology.
ASCP registry or equivalent preferred.
The hiring range for this position is $20.35 to $25.44 per hour.
-Retirement Savings Plan
-22 vacation days
-8 Paid Holidays
-Tuition benefits for employee, spouse and dependent children
-Free Metro Link/ Bus pass
-Free Life Insurance
-Health, Dental, Vision
-Health Savings Accounts (HSA)
-Long Term Disability Insurance
-Flex Spending Plan
Med School HR website (http://medschoolhr.wustl.edu)
Washington University in St. Louis is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women, ethnic minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Washington University in St. Louis - 30+ days ago
Washington University in St. Louis (WUSTL) is the gateway to higher education for more than 13,000 students. Founded in 1853, the independen...