Review of applications will begin on 02/15/13. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Pay Grade: 31E
Context of the Job:
Under limited direction of the Business Officer, the Financial Analyst II is responsible for the fiscal management and oversight of the college’s partnerships within the University, including but not limited to, First State Marine Wind (FSMW), Electric Vehicle to Grid (EV2G) and the United States Offshore Wind Innovation and Research Center (USOWIRC). This position performs complex financial/budgetary projections, analyses of actual activity to facilitate decision making and planning.
The individual will:
A high level of independent judgment, initiative and problem-solving skills, and the ability to demonstrate a high degree of confidentiality and discretion are required
- Be responsible for the financial reporting, analysis, planning and budgeting for college and departments within the context of the Responsibility Based Budgeting (RBB) model.
- Supervise the work of staff using PS financials for financial reporting.
- Interface effectively and serve as a liaison between the college finance office and Faculty, University of Delaware (UD) executive offices, representatives of government (federal/state), industrial and other institutions.
- Independently resolve issues with College and department personnel in regards to university financial policies and procedures.
- Make recommendations to Dean and Business Officer and assists in implementation of these recommendations.
- Interface directly and independently with both internal and external vendors and partners in all matters involving joint ventures and licensing agreements within the college.
- Communicate and works directly with UD executive offices including the Office of Treasury Services, Office of General Counsel, Office of Economic Innovation and Partnerships (OEIP), Budget Office, and the Research Office to resolve issues involving college joint ventures and provide recommendations.
- Develop, implement, maintain and disseminate standard operating procedures for proposal, administrative, financial and billing processes.
- Perform complex financial analyses, including financial and budgetary revenue and expense projections, and analyses of actual activity.
- Manage the daily financial activities including resource planning, sponsor funding, award funding allocations, budget control, accounting, purchasing, allocation of resources, management of expenditures, financial reporting; ensuring compliance with University policies and procedures, state, and federal regulations.
- Prepare materials to summarize and justify program budget requests, including data gathering and reporting and trend analyses and provide special research and analysis as requested.
- Researches variances to budget, prior month forecast and prior year actuals.
- Researches budgetary matters related to personnel appointments and salary increases.
- Prepare all financial reports for internal and external constituencies.
- Assist in the reporting and monitoring of the College and Departmental RBB multi-year projection report and developing long-range financial models for forecasting.
- Monitors and tracks college-level obligations.
- Provides direction to department personnel in completion of budget and revenue projection reports as needed for Dean, Business Officer and Department chairs.
- Works closely with Business Officer to prepare and complete fiscal year operational budgets for college, departments and self-supporting units for budget turnaround.
- Assist Business Officer with the management and timely data gathering from all sources for the budget planning files for the College and Departments.
- Provide individual training for College and departmental users in all aspects of financial monitoring and reporting following UD guidelines.
- Directly supervise non-exempt staff preparing financial reporting for joint ventures and partnerships.
- Develop and prepare reports utilizing various reporting and analysis tools, including but not limited to - PeopleSoft Query, advanced Excel and Cognos. These reports support the budgetary preparation, including analysis of financial, student, and HR activity in comparison to anticipated financial/budgetary outcome at both the department and college levels. Reports will also be used to maintain financial data integrity college-wide.
- Responsible for suggesting and developing reports that will further the missions of the College and the University.
- Designs and implements improved methods for compiling existing information to improve reporting capability and information.
- Process journal vouchers, budget revisions, and reconcile code activity.
- Perform other duties as required for unit effectiveness.
- Bachelor’s degree and four years related experience. Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business related field preferred.
- Proficient knowledge in budget preparation, analysis and financial management.
- Experience in a higher education institution preferred.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking and decision making skills.
- Demonstrated advanced skills with spreadsheet, database, word processing, and presentation software.
- Experience with UD financial system with report generation skills highly preferred.
Ability to analyze and monitor awards according to sponsored guidelines.
- Ability to be flexible, work independently and have high accountability for a large volume of work.
- Must be able to handle multiple assignments concurrently.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data, make independent decisions and good attention to detail skills.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to interact with people of diverse backgrounds, skills and abilities.
How To Apply
When applying please submit a one-page cover letter and your resume as one document. Also, please remember to provide names, addresses and telephone number of at least three references in the online application.
University of Delaware - 18 months ago