Provides medical reception and wide range of clerical duties in medical office setting.
General Office Responsibilities:
· Greets all patients and visitors entering the clinic.
· Assists patients and public with directions and information.
· Limits access to patient care areas to authorized persons.
· Monitors patients within the waiting area and alerts personnel in the event of patient distress.
· Receives and distributes incoming mail.
· Orders, receives and unpacks office supplies.
· Maintains confidentiality at all times.
Primary Focus – Front Office Responsibilities:
· Answers and directs incoming telephone calls.
· Takes messages for telephone calls when personnel are unavailable.
· Schedules patients appropriately.
· Enters patient registration information into the office management computer and prints registration pages.
· Contacts insurance companies to verify patient coverage for services.
· Obtains patient referral and authorization information prior to patient appointment.
· Assembles a chart on all new patients.
· Coordinates Mercy interpreters as needed for non-English speaking patients.
Primary Focus – Back Office Responsibilities:
· Gathers and records patient information for statistical purposes.
· Enters patient registration information into the office management computer.
· Files medical records and correspondence in patient charts.
· Retrieves patient charts for scheduled appointments as requested.
· Completes timely ultrasound transcription reports and mails to referring physicians within 48 hours.
· Collects patient co-pays, patient balances, and posts co-pays.
· Completes daily deposits.
· Insures on super bill per patient, eliminates duplicate MSR’s.
· Accurately file ultrasound reports in a timely manner.
· Enters patient demographic information into the IDX system.
· Facilitates office functions to promote continuity of clinic services.
· Acts as a resource for patient/peers regarding clinic policies and procedures pertaining to the area of responsibility.
· Review and enter monthly physician clinic and call schedules to ensure accuracy.
· Help develop, maintain and monitor clinic and physician schedules.
· Maintain referring physician directory and statistical reports.
· Copy antepartum records for Birthing Unit and Maternity Triage & Treatment Unit.
· Copy requested medical records.
· Mails new OB and patient information packets prior to patient’s appointment.
· Daily collects billing from hospital, takes and collects clinic mail.
· Assist with surgery scheduling as necessary.
· Assist with billing as needed, i.e., charge posting.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
· High school diploma or GED required.
· Successful completion of a medical terminology class preferred or previous knowledge of medical terminology.
· One year experience in office setting, preferably medical office or completion of medical secretarial program.
· One year experience working on personal computers and/or mainframe terminal.
· Previous experience answering telephone and greeting public.
· Must be a self-starter and able to work independently and make appropriate decisions within clinic guidelines.
· Utilizes professional and tactful communications.
Catholic Health Initiatives and its organizations are Equal Opportunity Employers.
- Demonstrates a commitment to service, organization values and professionalism through appropriate conduct and demeanor at all times
- Adheres to and exhibits our core values:
: Having a profound spirit of awe and respect for all creation, shaping relationships to self, to one another and to God and acknowledging that we hold in trust all that has been given to us.
: Moral wholeness, soundness, uprightness, honesty and sincerity as a basis of trustworthiness.
: Feeling with others, being one with others in their sorrows and joys, rooted in the sense of solidarity as members of the human community.
: Outstanding achievement, merit, virtue; continually surpassing standards to achieve/maintain quality.
- Maintains confidentiality and protects sensitive data at all times
- Adheres to organizational and department specific safety standards and guidelines
- Works collaboratively and supports efforts of team members
- Demonstrates exceptional customer service and interacts effectively with physicians, patients, residents, visitors, staff and the broader health care community
Patient Care Support
IA-Des Moines-330 Laurel Medical Building
Scheduled Hours per 2-week Pay Period
For Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI), returning sick people to good health is more than a business -- it's a mission. Formed in 1996...