Administrative Assistant II
NOTICE OF JOB OPENING
January 17, 2013
Please post or otherwise make available the following information. The City of Nampa Fire Department has an opening for a full-time Administrative Assistant II .
The City of Nampa is committed to ensuring equal opportunities to all individuals. If you need an accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact the Human Resource Director at 468-5437. TDD Relay Service: US West 1-800-377-3529 or 7-1-1 .
Salary : $14.08 per hour plus excellent benefits.
Hours: Generally Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ; however the incumbent must be able to work flexible and varied hours.
The principal function of an employee in this class is to perform a variety of technical, clerical and administrative support duties for an assigned City department. This class is distinguished from the class of Administrative Assistant I by the performance of more complex administrative support duties requiring detailed programmatic knowledge of the Department, including maintenance of financial and personnel records for the Department. The nature of the work performed requires that an employee in this class establish and maintain effective working relationships with assigned supervisors, other City employees, and the general public. The principal duties of this class are performed in a general office environment.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
1. Provides administrative support to key departmental personnel in relation to technical program requirements, prepares specialized reports as required and performs technical financial report maintenance, such as preparation, planning, and implementation of budgets, grants, and special projects; and maintaining time sheets, expenditure reports, and invoices for the Department.
2. Provides effective professional liaison between the Department and other City Departments, representatives from public agencies, area businesses, and the general public. Answers/receives, screens and/or greets visitors, telephone calls, faxes, mail and messages for Department personnel and provides information to or refers callers and visitors to appropriate personnel. Listens to and directs comments and complaints from the public relating to department operations and takes appropriate action to resolve and refer such complaints. Interprets and applies departmental or office rules, policies and regulations in accordance with prescribed procedures and guidelines.
3. Prepares specialized analytical reports relating to a core function of a departmental operation for use in policy development and evaluation of existing programs and initiatives. Prepares correspondences, reports, lists and other documents as instructed and requested by designated office personnel. Transcribes or prepares letters, minutes, reports, statements, grant applications, specifications, contracts, memoranda, notices, resolutions, budgets, financial and statistical tables, requisitions and other related materials, including confidential correspondences and reports. Gathers, assembles, updates, distributes and/or files a variety of information, forms, records and data as requested using traditional filing systems or databases as necessary. Copies, packages and distributes a variety of written materials as requested by other designated office personnel.
a. Assumes responsibility for related duties as required or assigned. Attends meetings, conferences, workshops, and training sessions and reviews publications and audio-visual materials to become and remain current on principles, practices, and new developments in assigned work areas.
b. Provides needed information and demonstrations concerning how to perform certain work tasks to new employees in the same or similar class of positions.
ESSENTIAL RELATIONSHIP EXPECTATIONS
1. Keeps immediate supervisor and designated others accurately informed concerning work progress, including present and potential work problems and suggestions for new or improved ways of addressing such problems.
2. Responds to citizens’ questions and comments in a courteous and timely manner.
3. Communicates and coordinates regularly with appropriate others to maximize the effectiveness and efficiency of interdepartmental operations and activities.
4. Is punctual and timely in meeting requirements of performance, including attendance standards and work deadlines.
5. Communicates information and states concerns in a clear and professional manner.
6. Respects the opinion of others and demonstrates a reasonable relationship with employees, supervisors and others.
7. Accepts and performs in a timely and effective manner changes in work assignments and/or how work is performed
Substantial knowledge of modern office procedures, practices and equipment including filing systems; bookkeeping and computer applications including Excel, Word, Access and other related software.
Some knowledge of City codes, rules, policies, regulations and procedures applicable to the position preferred.
Ability to learn the overall duties and responsibilities of the position.
Ability to efficiently operate a personal computer using standard or customized software applications appropriate to assigned tasks and the ability and willingness to quickly learn and put to use new skills and knowledge brought about by rapidly changing information and/or technology.
Ability to deal with a wide range of persons and communicate effectively both orally and in writing using both technical and non-technical language.
Ability to understand and follow oral and/or written policies, procedures, and instructions, use logical and creative thought processes to develop solutions according to written specifications and/or oral instructions, and prepare and present accurate and reliable reports containing findings and recommendations.
Ability to perform a wide variety of duties and responsibilities with accuracy and speed under the pressure of time-sensitive deadlines.
Integrity, ingenuity and inventiveness in the performance of assigned tasks.
Associate’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or a closely related field or any combination of experience and training which provides the equivalent scope of knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform the work.
Some (1-3 years) technical administrative experience; or Any combination of experience and training which provides the equivalent scope of knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform the work.
REQUIRED SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS:
Specified positions may require security background check and/or additional Certification(s) specific to the functional area of assignment.
Sufficient finger or manual dexterity with or without reasonable accommodation to enable the employee to operate a personal computer, telephone and related equipment and use primarily just the fingers to make small movements such as typing, picking up small objects, or pinching fingers together.
Sufficient clarity of speech or other communication ability with or without reasonable accommodation to enable the employee to communicate effectively and convey detailed or important instructions or ideas accurately, loudly or quickly.
Sufficient clarity of hearing with or without reasonable accommodation to enable the employee to hear average or normal conversations and receive ordinary information.
Sufficient visual acuity or other power of observation with or without reasonable accommodation to enable the employee to review a wide variety of materials in electronic or hard copy form and perform activities such as preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading; visual inspection involving small defects, small parts, and/or operation of machines (including inspection).
PHYSICAL STRENGTH AND PERSONAL MOBILITY:
Sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, with or without reasonable accommodation, to enable the employee to function within a general office environment. Sedentary work; sitting most of the time. Exerts up to 10 lbs. of force occasionally.
Special Conditions : The City of Nampa has a Drug/Alcohol Free Workplace Policy. Any offer of employment is contingent upon passing a pre-employment drug test and background check.
Dates to Submit Application : Applicant must submit an online application; resumes will not be taken in lieu of the application. Position information and online application may be found online at: www.cityofnampa.us . Applicant may apply online until 5:00 P.M., January 31, 2013.
Position may close prior to closing date.
The City of Nampa is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
City of Nampa - 23 months ago