Department of Economics
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Department of Economics is seeking an academic advisor for undergraduate students. The department has over 700 undergraduate majors. This position reports to the Director of Undergraduate Studies and the Assistant to the Department Head and is responsible for providing academic advising services for undergraduate students in regard to courses in economics and the economics major. This is a 100%, 12-month, academic professional position. The appointment has a target start date of April 1, 2013. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work under the guidance of the Undergraduate Studies leadership to support the educational development of students who pursue the economics major;
- Provide timely and accurate information to assist students in their short term and long term academic and vocational explorations and planning;
- Meet with students to review their academic performance and interests, to gauge progress towards completion of major requirements, and provide advice and counsel regarding viable academic options;
- Provide advising and assistance to incoming students during summer orientation periods in coordination with the College;
- Take the initiative to improve services offered to majors including initiating programming for students in general and for both high-achieving and at-risk students;
- Record thorough notes on advising sessions and must master the use of relevant university databases. Compile information and gather data as needed;
- Has administrative responsibilities associated with the assimilation and dissemination of a wide variety of information related to academic progress and eligibility;
- Serve as a resource person regarding the structure and degree requirements of the economics major, the names and locations of other campus resource persons and offices that provide assistance/support services;
- Must make good judgments on the basis of individual circumstances while maintaining equity and working within the framework of policy guidelines established by the department and the College.
- Work independently, but have the knowledge to bring requests and issues to the Director’s attention, when necessary;
- Under direction of the Undergraduate Studies leadersihp and the Assistant to the Department Head, complete curriculum scheduling and enrollment management in Banner for each semester. This includes coordination with the Registrar’s Office;
- Coordinate graduation ceremonies among the Campus, College and three programs in Economics. This includes attending the ceremony;
- Assist in the review of transfer and study abroad courses;
- Advises the Economics Club, which is a registered student organization. Be the liaison between the club and the department;
- Other related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree required; at least two year of professional experience in a service-based occupation; demonstrated ability to respond to concerns of undergraduate students; ability to work with computer database applications; demonstrated ability and commitment to working with culturally diverse groups; exceptional communication skills; and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and ability to work independently.
To ensure full consideration application materials must be received by March 1, 2013. All candidates must create a candidate profile through http://go.illinois.edu/EconAdvisor and upload a letter of interest, resume, and the names, addresses and telephone numbers of three professional references. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Tera Martin at 217-300-3684.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity. ( www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu )
University of Illinois - 14 months ago
The University of Illinois is the state's best and most comprehensive public university. The three distinct campuses in Urbana-Champaign,...