This position leads the Global Marketing function for BD Biosciences – Cell Analysis. It is responsible for the development and implementation of worldwide marketing strategies and is also an important contributor to the overall business strategy for Cell Analysis, a $1B global business. In addition to marketing plans for the clinical and research segments, the VP Global Marketing also influences portfolio management decisions, business development activities, technology-related opportunities, and strategic planning decisions. This position works closely with the business leaders of BD Biosciences (i.e. Cell Analysis and Advanced Bioprocessing), and leaders of relevant BDB – Cell Analysis functions including Sales, Strategic Planning, Business Development, R&D, Operations, IT, HR, Finance, Regulatory, Quality, and other business areas. This position is also the primary interface with the BDB Regional Leaders around the world. It reports to the Worldwide President of the BDB – Cell Analysis business unit. Member of the Biosciences Cell Analysis Leadership Team.
The successful candidate in this position will have very high visibility to senior management.
The ideal candidate will possess both life science product marketing capabilityand customer focused orientation while applying a strong strategic marketing perspective. The successful candidate will also have a deep knowledge of core markets,have a proven track record of driving innovation and bring a perspective where he/she can more broadly influence and articulate new opportunities inside and outside our core business. He/she should be able to influence and lead the journey to new opportunities. The candidate should havedemonstrated experience in talent acquisition and development as a line leader. As a line leader, the VP of Marketing will be accountable forselecting, coaching, and developing talent to drive business performance and shape future succession..
BD is a very strong company financially and has excellent core values. BD strongly believes in balancing the "triple bottom line": achieving strong economic performance, promoting environmental stewardship and advancing social responsibility and is a member of the Dow Jones Sustainability Index. It is a great place to work.
- Provides input to the business strategy, P&L analysis, SOF preparation, and other strategic processes.
- Beginning with the business strategy, leads the development and implementation of the worldwide marketing strategies for Cell Analysis including the marketing approaches to the clinical and research market segments.
- Manages the Cell Analysis Marketing staff with responsibility for the implementation of marketing plans, and the direct impact on business results including revenue, gross margins, expenses, and product mix. The head of the global Marketing Communications function will report to this position. Also, develops and manages departmental expense budgets.
- Responsible for overall positioning of products in the market place, and product life cycle management.
- Analyzes business results to determine the effectiveness of marketing strategies.
- Contributes to the evaluation of potential mergers, acquisitions, and business agreements.
- Obtains voice of the customer and evaluates customer needs.
- Leads interface with Research & Technology Development, Manufacturing, Worldwide Sales, and Worldwide Marketing teams to develop products that support strong business growth. Assures that global customer requirements are prioritized and represented to the product development teams.
- Ensures that formal and informal market research is conducted in order to understand market opportunities and challenges from competitors.
- Responsible for providing quantitative input to product development regarding customer preferences for hardware, software, and reagent products. Regularly, meets with customers, marketing staff, and sales personnel on a worldwide basis.
- Drives marketing direction and support for the Worldwide Cell Analysis sales organization. Ensures that global business regions receive product information to meet their goals.
- Oversees the identification and resolution of market issues and product problems.
- Creates the business case for product and marketing initiatives.
- Provides guidance to the business regarding key portfolio decisions.
- Has a “teach by example” approach. Leads from the front while teaching from practical application experience.
- People management responsibilities such as hires, job assignments, termination recommendations, transfers, promotions, salary actions, performance management, associate development, affirmative action, and environmental health and safety.
- Focus on creating a culture of innovation at BD.
- Performs other related duties and assignments as required.
· Requires a minimum of 8-10 years experience in healthcare or diagnostics leadership roles
- Requires a BS (Life Science discipline strongly preferred), MBA in Marketing or Business is strongly preferred.
- Requires fifteen (15) years of related marketing and/or sales experience, including 10 years of management experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Requires strong leadership skills and demonstrated success in building and strengthening marketing teams
· Requires the ability to build a team and organization aligned with the needs of the current and future organization.
· · A breadth of functional experiences is required including assignments outside of the marketing function.
· Work experience in a life sciences, clinical diagnostics, or medical devices company is preferred. Experience in immunology and molecular biology is desirable.
· Prior general management experience is desired.
· Experience with Marketing Excellence initiatives is desired.
· Background in the marketing of systems for medical research and clinical diagnostics applications.
· International work experience is preferred.
Management of the global marketing function with direct management of multiple US based marketing teams through Director-level individuals (i.e. clinical, research, Marcom, eBusiness, marketing research) with a total of up to 55 associates. Strong collaboration and influence in working with regional marketing teams and other extended teams in order to successfully manage the global function. The direct teams are primarily in San Jose and San Diego, CA. Budget responsibilities are $17MM
The position is based in San Jose, CA a very attractive area in Northern California.
- 2 years ago - save job