1. Provide the University steam and hot water through operation of the Central Utility Plant steam boilers and auxiliary steam and hot water equipment.
2. Monitor and maintain Central Utility Plant steam boilers and auxiliary steam and hot water equipment so operations are safely, reliably and efficiently sustained.
3. Provide the University chilled water through operation of the Central Utility Plant chillers and auxiliary chilled water equipment.
4. Monitor and maintain chillers and auxiliary chilled water equipment so operations are safely, reliably and efficiently sustained.
5. Operate the Cates Cogeneration Facility within the Cates Central Utility Plant to produce electrical power and steam to the campus.
Essential Job Duties
This position serves as a central utility plant operator that operates electrical generation, steam production, chilled water production, hot water production equipment and conducts routine to complex maintenance. The operator is a part of a shift team and is directed by a shift supervisor in the operation of electrical generation equipment (combustion turbines, fuel gas compressors, inlet air coolers/filters), steam boilers, steam plant auxiliary equipment, electrical chillers, steam turbine driven chillers, cooling towers, primary/secondary pumping systems and auxiliary chiller equipment and water treatment systems. In addition, the shift operator will assist the shift supervisor in required monitoring and adjustments to equipment to maintain emissions within regulatory requirements.
High school diploma or equivalency and one year of related experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Maintains required certification(s).
Departmental Required Skills
Must be able to communicate effectively verbally with supervisors and the general public and understand verbal and written instructions and other communications regarding work assignments and other matters.
Experience with combustion gas turbines/cogeneration.
Experience in steam production (natural gas/fuel oil fire tube and water tube boilers up to 100kpph).
Experience in chilled water production (electric driven/turbine driven up to 2000tons).
Must be able to lift up to 60 pounds.
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
5 Years experience with combustion gas turbines/cogeneration
5 Years experience in steam production (natural gas/fuel oil fire tube and water tube boilers up to 100kpph)
5 Years experience in chilled water production (electric driven/turbine driven up to 2000tons)
1 Years experience in a central plant environment.
Required License or Certification
A valid drivers license is required.
North Carolina Drivers License required within 60 days of hire and must be maintained.
North Carolina State University - 23 months ago