JOB DESCRIPTION/TITLE : Senior Director of Merchandising and Purchasing
DEPARTMENT : Merchandising and Purchasing
Reporting Relationship Chief Operating Officer.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Senior Director of Merchandising and Purchasing will have sales, margin, and inventory management responsibility and will be held accountable for both short and long term results, including revenue growth, margin improvement, profitability, and market share. The individual will have complete responsibility for setting objectives, strategies, tactics and plans to enable the company to meet its sales and margin targets. Additionally, The Senior Director of Merchandising and Purchasing will be responsible for overseeing the development of all merchandising and purchasing programs and the development of new products as the company expands into other product categories.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Creating strategic relationship with key vendors and suppliers.
Managing inventory at warehouse and store level.
Purchasing product for stores, Wholesale, Ecommerce
Introduction of new products with full vendor support, Slotting, allowances, coop ad funds
Lowering product cost
Increasing coop advertising income
Creation of winning merchandising strategies and partnering with store managers on execution.
Successful advertising strategy and vendor support.
Creation of annual business plan to support the financial requirements of the company
Partnering with all functional areas of the company, i.e. Advertising/Marketing, IT, Finance, HR, LP, Wholesale, Warehouse, and Ecommerce
Comprehends and improves department standards across all functions, advertising, Product purchasing, pricing, category management, Store operations
Develop “Top-to-Top” customer business relationships with all vendors
The candidate needs to have extensive experience in merchandising, procurement, pricing and marketing of Hispanic products
Ensure that Merchandising activities are in alignment with the company’s goals and objectives
Ensure that the focus is on lowest possible total cost without comprising standards
Ensure that the assortment and product management function supports the company's superiority on variety
Ensure that the companies low price image is protected while building sales and margin
Ensure that Merchandising and Procurement practices reduce exposure of operational shrink
Critical Management Competencies
1. Strategic Contribution : Capacity for structured analytical thinking, a questioning approach, and effective decision-making. Innovative, creative, “big picture” focus. Gathers information from multiple sources to understand, identify, and resolve complex problems. Anticipates obstacles, analyzes risk, and formulates calculated alternatives. Recognizes symptoms that indicate underlying or more significant issues requiring attention and analysis. Ability to identify cause-and-effect relationships and trends. Aligns department’s goals and objectives with the Company’s strategic direction and Core Values.
2. Financial and Business Acumen : Demonstrates financial planning, budgeting, and analysis skills; works within an approved budget, develops and implements cost saving measures, and contributes to profits and revenue. Ability to understand and integrate various business operations and processes to develop winning strategies. Understands and analyzes the impact of changing business processes, systems, techniques, or other methodologies to the overall operation of the Company. Constructively works within the organization ( structure, policies, and people) to continuously improve business performance. Exhibits sound business judgment.
3. Results Driven : Focuses attention and initiative on factors critical for success. Tenacious, exhibiting a high degree of urgency and persistence toward achieving business results and driving for continuous improvement. Seizes business opportunities that enhance enterprise effectiveness and profitability. Inspired and enthusiastic talent for consistently maximizing resources to bring work to closure and achieve results despite roadblocks.
4. Leadership : Challenges the status quo; creates and communicates a vision that motivates, enables, and empowers others to take action and accomplish difficult tasks. Manages uncertainty, ambiguity, and complexity. Sets consistently high standards and expectations for self and others; models the way and leads by example. Recognizes and rewards contributions and milestones; defines success in terms of the whole team. Ability to interact at all levels of the organization to drive strategic priorities.
5. Interpersonal : Persuasive and skillful negotiator. Self-confident and empathetic, can objectively and accurately read others. Gives and welcomes feedback. Demonstrates a spirit of partnering with other functional areas to ensure overall company success. Focuses on resolving conflict, not placing blame. Forms positive and productive relationships with internal and external partners and associates. Proven ability to manage difficult and sensitive issues in a forthright and fair manner. Honest communicator; makes responsible commitments to others and follows through.
6. Communication : Strong oral, written, presentation, and listening skills. Assertive, direct and straightforward. Exhibits empathy and self-awareness, with the ability to convincingly persuade and influence others. Handles highly sensitive and confidential matters honestly and with the utmost integrity. Aligns behaviors with Core Values. Demonstrates ability to professionally present information in a clear, concise, and compelling manner that commands attention and respect, using appropriate style, tools, and technology to communicate the desired message. Must be comfortable dealing at all levels of the organization.
7. Problem Solving : Accurately identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner. Facilitates group problem solving as necessary; exhibits sound judgment; and involves the appropriate people in the decision-making process. Takes aggressive corrective action to follow through and address problems or identified shortfalls in a manner that meets the needs of the internal or external customer and stays within the operating guidelines of the Company.
8. Managing Human Resources : Selects, trains, challenges, motivates, develops, and retains a staff focused on excellence and continuous improvement. Delegates meaningful work; empowers staff to make independent decisions. Builds effective teams and optimizes talent within the department. Sets goals, coaches, mentors, counsels, and takes corrective action when necessary. Manages diversity; insists on equal and fair treatment and opportunity. Practices principles of Performance Management and Succession Planning consistent with the Core Values of the Company.
9. Project Management : Successfully manages multiple projects and allocates resources ( people, budget, equipment, and information) to achieve goals. Anticipates obstacles, eliminates roadblocks to goal attainment, and devises alternate strategies. Applies effective planning, organizing, and time management tools; prioritizes team schedules, monitors own and others progress and makes adjustments when necessary to fulfill commitments within reasonable timeframes. Manages competing demands yet consistently meets aggressive timelines. Monitors work to ensure quality, insists on accuracy and thoroughness, and sets high standards of excellence for self and team.
10. Continuous Learning : Demonstrated belief in and commitment to an attitude and process of regular learning and innovation. Maintains an external focus; stays current on industry trends and competitive intelligence. Optimizes personal and organizational learning to improve overall performance.
11. Driving Continuous Improvement : Focused, persistent progress to achieve business results; inspiration, enthusiasm, and talent for bringing work to closure despite roadblocks; consistently maximizes resources to drive results. Demonstrates an ability to implement ways to measurably improve the quality of systems, processes and procedures to improve the organization’s overall performance.
12. Change Agent : Demonstrates experience in successfully leading significant change programs requiring the ability to spark and motivate a broad constituency of associates, peers, and senior management to new and different thinking. Demonstrates a passion for seeing change through despite a myriad of organizational obstacles. Actively seeks opportunities to improve productivity and operations.
Customer Focus: Linkage of Sales forecasting and demand planning processes , Supply chain disruption and contingency planning , Ensure supply chain allows for fast market, penetration, allowing for rapid revenue growth , Optimization of order fulfillment processes to ensure on time shipments
Technology utilization: Lead and promote use of technology for supply chain solutions ( JDA, K3). Development of consistent and disciplined processes.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Candidate must deal with Ambiguity, Decision Making, Managing Others, must have excellent Communication Skills, Organizational Skills, Excel and PowerPoint Skills.
Skills and Education:
Bachelors degree or above preferred or at least 10 years of direct industry experience in Merchandising, Procurement and Operations
Merchandising, product procurement, pricing, category management, advertising and store operations experience required
At least 5 years in Merchandising, Category Management and Procurement positions required
At lest 5 years of Multiple Store Operations experience in Drug and/or Traditional Supermarket management experience is required. Experience in supervising operating DM’s is a plus.
Candidate must have the ability to complete tasks in an informal, fast paced, changing environment
Candidate must have experience is negotiating CMA and BDF agreements with all major manufactures
Candidate must have experience in negotiating supply-chain agreements with non-perishable external supply sources/wholesalers
Marc-Allen Associates - 12 months ago
We specialize in recruiting for:
Corporate and Store Operations