This position requires extensive knowledge of IP Routing and Switching Protocols. Strong emphasis on Cisco IOS commands and Router configurations is required for this position. A thorough understanding of OSPF and BGP are critical to this position. In general, an employee in this sub-family: Plans, designs, and tests complex voice, data, transport, or video/RF networks including individual components and interoperability of multiple network elements. May perform operational efficiency reviews and develop plans for improvements. Performs evaluation testing on hardware and software components for new or improved product offerings, network growth and/or customer-specific applications.
Essential Job Functions:
* Serves as primary subject matter expert in one or more areas of network engineering specialties (Analog, Digital, Data, Transport, Voice, etc).
* Provides telecommunication solutions to increase operational efficiencies, and expand network services.
* Conducts equipment evaluations, equipment selection, pilot testing and network designs to insure reliability and scaled expansion of the network.
* Prepare engineering cost analysis to optimize the return on investment.
* Provides detailed engineering support and consultation to other departments.
* Develops network element technical specifications.
* Supports new product deployments with installation, integration, testing, documentation, and training. Develops methods and procedures for troubleshooting.
* Makes specific recommendations and assists in implementation of plans that enhance technical operation, compliance with rules and regulations, and permits the deployment of new technology.
* Defines and compiles the methods of procedures and documentation to support personnel in the maintenance and day-to-day operation of the network.
* Develops and executes detailed network designs and architectural plans for network applications.
* Designs may include backbone planning (SONET), routed IPs, MPLS, digital loop carrier (DLC) design, Rf, or Internet topologies.
* May configure any or all of the following: routers, switches, DWDM, SONET, ATM, and transport technologies.
* Designs interfaces for digital telecommunications equipment including fiber optic terminals, multiplexers, digital cross connects, channel banks, DLC and related peripherals.
* Establishes network performance measurements and goals.
* Works with vendors to ensure equipment is installed and operating properly and resolves problems.
* Develops and implements proper operation and procedure for new technologies.
* Works closely with customers, directly or indirectly through Sales Engineers, to identify network needs that impact network design and support requirements.
* Responsible for all aspects of local network management and network management devices.
* May order circuits by generating engineering work orders to establish network circuits for customer installs, reviewing CIR to determine outside plant needs and pre-engineering circuit detail.
* May manage projects with Operations and Engineering to confirm delivery intervals and validate critical dates and milestones to ensure delivery of services stay on target.
* Coordinates with other departments to ensure the network is available and configured to exceed market demands. This includes the support of software upgrades and configuration changes and assisting technicians, SOC and NOC in troubleshooting outages and resolving escalations as appropriate.
* Facilitates communications with employees and other departments by holding or attending meetings, preparing reports, and participating on task forces.
* Facilitates capacity verification to identify network availability during pre-sale analysis (commercial).
* Develop methods and procedures for equipment migration (commercial).
* May perform reliability studies and assessments to ensure Cox is the Trusted Provider.
* May ensure licenses and/or registrations are posted at their proper site locations and reviewed on a regular basis.
* May provide documentation and reports to corporate, which may include: quarterly CLI ride out documents, annual CLI schedules to be filed with FCC, and biannual proof of performance reports.
* May review audit matrix from corporate to ensure that information is accurately posted to the public record file.
* May identify issues that are not in compliance with FAA and FCC and communicate them to management and/or corporate.
* May require general knowledge of FCC proof of performance, CLI program, and CATV rules and regulations.
1 - BS/BA or Associates degree in Engineering Preferred;
2 - Min. 5 years of experience in related field
3 - Cisco certification a plus, CCNA, CCDA or CCNP.
4 - Experience with UNIX or LINUX server administration is also desired.
5 - Experience in Metro Ethernet Networks
6 - Extensive knowledge of IP Routing and Switching Protocols required.
7 - Strong emphasis on Cisco IOS commands and Router configurations is required as well as a thorough understanding of OSPF and BGP are critical to this position.
Dept/Org Scope & Impact - Seasoned professional contributor with responsibility for an advanced area of work in the professional field; May be responsible for entire projects or functions having modest scope/impact or portions of projects having considerable scope/impact to department, area, and, at times, business unit results
Problem Complexity - Performs advanced areas of work for the professional field; Identifies key barriers/core problems and applies problem-solving skills in order to deal creatively with complex situations. Troubleshoots and resolves complex problems
Autonomy - Independently performs assignments with instruction limited to results expected. Determines and develops approach to solutions; Receives technical guidance only on unusual or complex problems or issues
Knowledge - Possesses and applies comprehensive knowledge of particular field of specialization to the completion of complex assignments. Advanced knowledge of organization's technologies and practices
Primary contribution is in applying knowledge (product, industry, professional, and technical) rather than managing people. Greater than 50% of time is doing individual contributor work
No responsibility for developing and managing operating plans/budgets
Influence/People Leadership - May oversee the completion of projects or assignments, including planning, assigning, monitoring, and reviewing progress and accuracy of work, evaluating results, etc.; Contributes to employees' professional development, but does not have hiring or firing authority
Cox Communications, Inc. and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers. We have a tradition of encouraging a wide diversity of talents through a broad range of hiring practices. Please note those individuals submitting resumes online or by mailing a resume are not considered an applicant for employment until a signed employment application form is completed, usually at the time of interview.
For more information about Cox Communications and its subsidiaries, please click here
www.cox.com, www.coxmedia.com, www.coxbusiness.com.
Statement to ALL Third Party Agencies and Similar Organizations:
Cox Communications accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox Communications employees, or send to any Cox Communications facility. Cox Communications is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.
Cox Communications - 17 months ago
As the third largest cable provider in the nation, Cox Communications, Inc. is noted for its high-capacity, reliable broadband delivery...