Set up, manage and maintain servers, network storage, and server-based computational resources for teaching and learning. Perform installation, testing, maintenance, upgrades and administration of hardware, operating systems and application software. Fine-tune systems configuration for reliability and performance; develop monitoring and testing tools; troubleshoot problems; and ensure systems remains operational. Monitor systems for performance and security; implement system policies to adhere to departmental policies and standards and user needs; recommend and evaluate hardware, software and systems architecture and specifications for new systems based on industry trends, department needs as well as user needs. Provide server-side programming support for teaching and learning projects and services.
Master's degree preferred.
- At least 3-5 years of professional work experience or the equivalent education and years of work experience;
- Demonstrated professional expertise in the setup and maintenance of web servers and other networked servers, including some of all of the following: Solaris 9 and/oror 10; Red Hat, Mint, and/or Ubuntu Linux, other UNIX systems, and/or NT servers;
- Familiarity with OSI layers, network protocols (ARP, ICMP, IP) and networking routing. Proficient use of network diagnostic tools such as tcpdump and nmap;
- Demonstrable experience writing secure, efficient code;
- Experience with Java, JDBC, Servlets, JSP, SQL, and working with XML using both SAX and DOM, Ajax and evolving standards;
- Experience working with Tomcat/Jakarta, SUN JDK;
- Ability to debug complex related systems/subsystems;
- Experience installing, maintaining, upgrading open source software products; and securely interfacing databases to the web.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: (include unique competencies, certification, licenses, etc.):
- Prefer 5-7 years professional work experience as a systems administrator;
- Prefer experience in a higher education institution, especially developing and/or supporting research and teaching innovation; project management experience
- Prefer experience collaborating with college faculty on application development;
- Prefer experience building and administering server clusters;
- Prefer experience designing, administering, and optimizing MySQL databases in both innoDB and MyISAM storage engines;
- Prefer experience with grid computing; and
- Prefer experience writing and/or working on grant-funded projects.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: (include unique competencies, certification, licenses, etc.):
- Demonstrated skills in installing, configuring, upgrading, and general maintenance of servers, clusters, and other networked computing environments;
- In-depth knowledge of RedHat Enterprise AS 3, 4, Windows 2000, Windows 2003 system administration;
- Ability to configure Apache web server software in a multi-user environment including SSL support, htaccess files;
- Server side knowledge of environments such as: Perl, PHP, XML, shell scripting;
- Programming languages such as C++ or Java;
- Database programming knowledge using ODBC, DBI, MySQL, Microsoft SQL, or PostgreSQL;
- Extensive knowledge of authentication and authorization methods such as LDAP, PAM, and/or Radius;
- Familiarity with one or more software source code control systems;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Interpersonal, supervisory and team building skills; and,
- Creative problem solving abilities and initiatives.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- Familiarity with mobile apps development for both Android and iOS;
- Familiarity with Sakai CLE
- Familiarity with open source CMS and LMS platforms, especially Drupal, Joomla, Plone, Moodle, and Canvas; and,
- Familiarity with Web 2.0 technologies such as the Google Maps API, Ajax, etc.
Projected Position Start Date:
New York University - 17 months ago
Higher education is at the core of this Big Apple institution. The setting and heritage of New York University (NYU) make it one of the...