Looking to invent and apply innovative computer vision, video processing, and/or signal processing approaches to challenging real-world problems in entrepreneurial, collaborative, agile, multidisciplinary teams focused on advancing the state-of-the-art? You've found the right place in the Video Understanding and Exploitation directorate!
We seek a highly creative experienced Research Scientist to lead and contribute to development of advanced algorithms and systems in diverse research areas applying robust feature extraction, multi-modality image registration, image rectification, object recognition, 3D reconstruction, object tracking, mover detection, and intelligent video monitoring to real-world decision-making problems for situational awareness, intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance, and tracking.
You must be highly motivated, have strong superior problem-solving abilities, and be willing to perform a wide variety of related tasks.
- Hands-on leadership of research, design, and development projects (or parts thereof)
- Interact with program management to track progress, costs, and staffing
- Interact with management and review authorities for senior oversight
- Supervise/mentor other researchers and software engineers
- Collaboratively develop software products in small groups of dedicated engineers
- Assist in transitioning cutting-edge research into systems of the future
- Collaborate closely with research groups from universities and other partners
- Lead multi-disciplinary, multi-institution teams from initial marketing and proposal development through the execution of ambitious multi-year projects
- Work with leading researchers in academia, top notch software development talent at TS-AIT, and other partners in research and development
- Write technical proposals
- Publish research results in professional, peer-reviewed journals and technical conferences
- Rapid design, implementation, analysis, experimentation with, and evaluation of viable prototypes of novel solutions to challenging problems spanning the areas of machine learning, probabilistic reasoning, adaptive control, and/or optimization using information available in (draft) specifications or scientific literature
Required Skills and Experience:
- Doctorate in Computer Science or Engineering-related discipline with 3+ years professional experience (specialization in Computer Vision or Video Processing particularly valuable); Masters degree with 5+ years professional experience; Bachelors Degree with 10+ years experience
- Strong analytic and project and personnel leadership skills
- Strong writing and presentation skills sufficient to support:
(a) creation and sustainment of lines of research through marketing via direct interaction with customers and proposal writing; and
(b) publication of research results in professional, peer-reviewed journals and technical conferences
- Supervision/leadership/mentorship of junior staff
- Demonstrated experience in formulating and carrying out research agendas
- Matlab and/or C++ proficiency to perform:
(1) rapid design, prototyping, analysis, and simulation of, and experimentation with, advanced algorithms and applications; and
(2) data analysis
- Equally effective communication with lifelong academics, government customers, and professional engineers
- Record of publications in relevant fields with real-world applications viewed favorably
*US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
- Security clearance (ideally currently active)
- Experience in defense or intelligence industries highly desirable
- Software engineering skills, including the ability to architect reusable C++ frameworks
- Strong skills in sensor modeling, calibration, pattern classification, and projective geometry basic concepts highly desirable.
BAE Systems is the premier trans-Atlantic defense and aerospace company, delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and...