The Business Analyst is responsible for a full range of activities which ensure the operational effectiveness and excellence of the business unit. The Business Analyst will design and document workflow and make appropriate recommendations that will positively impact operational effectiveness. The Business Analyst will track and analyze business unit trends and make appropriate recommendations that will positively impact the department. The business analyst will also perform complex budgeting and accounting functions; conduct financial, statistical, and analytical studies; and, prepare and assist in the preparation of financial reports, statements, and claims for reimbursement according to prescribed guidelines.
Business Analysis and Reporting
- Works directly with project managers to understand project concept, objectives and approach.
- Takes assigned project from original concept through final implementation.
- Defines project scope and objectives.
- Creates and maintains project schedules by developing project plans and specifications, estimating time requirements, establishing deadlines, monitoring milestone completion, tracking all phases of the project product/service lifecycle, providing timely reporting of issues that impact project progress, coordinating actions, and resolving conflicts.
- Provides single point of contact for assigned projects.
- Coordinates interaction and communication among project staff and stakeholders.
- Identifies and coordinates assignments of internal resources and external contractors to meet project requirements.
- Assesses and prepares to address the operational impacts, workflow, training, etc. issues of a project.
- Analyzes trends and recommends adjustments address and/or capitalize on trends.
- Assists manager in developing tactical and strategic processes and procedures to support the departments goals (financial, quality, production, customer service, operational efficiency, market share, etc.).
- Reviews, analyzes, and creates detailed documentation of business systems and user needs, including workflow, program functions, and steps required to develop or modify computer programs.
- Consults with IT managers determine business, functional and technical requirements for specified applications.
- Coordinates the development of all approved versions of business and functional specifications for specified applications. Develops effective reporting tools for the business unit.
- Analyzes the business units activities and trends and compares analyses against the service standards and best practices. Presents findings and works with the Business Unit Leader and other personnel to identify and implement strategies that will address tactical and strategic goals.
- Prepares routine reports (financial, quality, production, customer service, operational efficiency, market share, etc.).
- Prepares complex financial reports as mandated by the Chief of Staff or CIO
- Works with IT manager or project manager to conduct testing to meet project timelines.
Qualifications for Job:
- Proven knowledge and experience in a particular industry.
- Analytical, problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
- Technical understanding of system being analyzed and how it affects the various business units.
- Good at handling and meeting deadlines.
- Multi-tasking skills and the ability to balance multiple priorities and keep up with project scope changes.
- Able to work well with both staff and external vendors.
- Good presentation skills, and ability to communicate with various audiences, including end users, managers, and members of the IT team.
- Self-starter with leadership skills in order to take charge of or facilitate requirement-gathering sessions.
- Strong attention to detail organizational skills.
- Quick learner who is easily able to learn new products, systems, applications and technologies.
- Financial modeling and strategic analysis skill
- Ability to operate with a high degree of autonomy in making decisions and implementing change
- Project management skills including the ability to manage multiple projects
- Proficient in Excel, Access, SAP, Business Objects, MS Office
- Strong ability to analyze large amounts of information and present actionable findings
- Comfortable in a team environment with changing priorities and time pressures
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Proactive, decisive, action-oriented individual
- Excellent customer support and relationship management skills
- Communication and interviewing skills
- Understanding of the business model and processes
- Problem solving and structured analysis skills
- Presentation and facilitation skills
- Project management skills
- Systems analysis and design methodologies
- Technical skills
Type of Education Required:
Bachelors Degree or equivalent experience required - Any combination of education and training equivalent to a bachelors degree which demonstrates ability to perform the duties as described, including courses in accounting and business procedures
Type of Experience and Number of Years:
- Minimum 5 years experience in marketing, business analysis and project management is preferred
- Proven project management and leadership skills, including the ability to gather clear business requirements.
- Proven ability to develop, document and maintain operational policies and procedures, including the designing and documenting detailed process flows, and the development of operational performance and quality metric standards and reports.
- Proven experience working with Excel and developing and maintaining various analyses and reporting tools.
- Knowledge of Property and Casualty industry and insurance and underwriting rules and decision tree logic preferred.
- 23 months ago - save job
The Chicago Public Schools is the nation's third-largest school district and the second-largest employer in Illinois, with more than 45,000...