Senior Systems Engineer
Posted Date 6/24/2013
Cost Center 025 Category Corporate IT
We are looking for a Senior Linux Systems Engineer how can work in a dynamic environment. you will be responsible for designing and implementing both internal and external customer-facing systems that run a variety of Linux Operating Systems.
About the Team
The team is a global group of highly technical engineers and systems administrators that support Akamai’s Corporate Linux and storage environments.
- Provide on-going Engineering and Tier3 support of Unix (Solaris) and Linux (Red Hat, Debian) systems.
- Act as an escalation point for the operations team and helpdesk for support issues.
- Design and implement tools to enhance the security and scalability of the Linux infrastructure and systems.
- Coordinate security reviews of hardware and systems.
- Drive processes to enable operational support of solutions and systems.
- Create and enhance internal OS deployment tools and processes
- Use our system resource utilization and monitoring tools to identify potential problem areas before they result in incidents.
- Design production system changes.
- Work with other Operations team members to review system capacity and design upgrade paths.
- Create packages and patches for distribution to internal servers.
- Scripting with Perl and Shell.
Minimum of 5 years experience with Linux operating systems, including kernel modifications and tuning.
- 5+ years of experience with one or more of the following: DNS, Active directory/Kerberos and TCP/IP routing.
- 5+ years of experience designing solutions for large scale production deployments.
- 5+ years of experience building RPM and Debian packages.
- 5+ years of experience working with clustering technologies and database systems.
- 5+ years of programming experience in Perl and Shell scripting.
- 5+ years of experience with operating system commands/utilities on Linux (Red Hat, Debian) and SUN Solaris.
- 5+ years of experience as a Linux Systems administrator.
- A 4-year college degree
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written); capable of writing systems documentation and procedures; a disciplined approach to change management processes.
- A can-do and enthusiastic attitude toward work and customers.
- Familiarity with Enterprise storage implementations.
- Familiarity with HA and DR implementations.
- Programming experience in C or C++.
- Experience working with Oracle Databases and RAC clusters.
- Strong technical troubleshooting skills for both system performance and connectivity issues.
- A well organized self-starter who delivers assigned work on schedule while managing multiple tasks under minimal supervision in a fast-paced environment.
- Is relocation available for this position: Yes
- Is US Citizenship required: No
- Is a Security Clearance Required: No
No one carries more of the world's Web traffic than Akamai, so working with Akamai means you’re helping some of the world’s best known brands succeed in bringing any experience to any device, anywhere. Cloud computing, SaaS, eCommerce, online entertainment and dynamic personalized experiences are all fueled by Akamai technology. Join Akamai and you join a culture that’s extremely intelligent, strongly supportive and passionately committed to delivering world-class solutions. Some of the best minds in business, mathematics, and engineering work at Akamai – leading, learning and shaping the future of the Internet.
If you're excited by Akamai and would like to help change the online landscape please apply. No time to apply? Join our Talent Community.
Akamai Technologies is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer (M/F/D/V) that values the strength that diversity brings to the workplace.
Akamai - 5 months ago