As a member of the Core Services Team, this position will provide Unix, Linux and VMware system administration and will be responsible for Yale University’s virtualization, cloud infrastructure, web, email and other critical Linux servers in a dynamic, 24/7/365 production environment.
The technical environment at Yale includes 200+ servers running VMware virtualization products and Amazon Web Services. Yale's supported technologies include: Redhat Linux, Apache, JBoss, Drupal, Wordpress, MySQL, F5 BIG-IP, FuseESB, Nagios/Opsview, Cfengine and Jenkins, with a focus on automation, scalability, high-availability, and architecture.
The Linux Administrator will install, configure, document and manage Linux systems, applications, VMware and F5 load balancers. Design and implement production infrastructure using cutting edge tools such as Logstash, Jenkins, Varnish Nginx, Git.
Department URL Address:
Click here for more information
1. Provides overall leadership role in multiple and complex areas of computing. Provides technical leadership to assist with long range vision in the area of systems design and architecture. Plans, develops and directs the design of major, complex systems.
2. Services as a technical advisor to computing professionals and provides technical leadership.
3. Operates as a key contributor to departmental planning and long range technical development.
4. Ensures that system design strategies meet the current and future business needs.
5. Guides the development of broad, unprecedented computing systems and conducts critical developmental studies.
6. Creates, conceives, and plans the development of new data sources, criteria and systems standards.
7. Plans and directs the design of major, complex systems.
8. May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor's Degree in a related field and six years of related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Demonstrated ability with UNIX/Linux operating systems and utilities, tools and applications used to install, configure, document and maintain systems and applications.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Demonstrated ability in a production environment with at least two of the following: automated install, automated build and deployment, automated configuration management, enterprise monitoring systems, server virtualization, load balancing, web servers, Java application servers.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Excellent communication skills in order to collaborate as a knowledge leader in the specification, design and deployment support of UNIX infrastructure. Demonstrated ability to develop and document complex procedures.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Proven ability supporting UNIX web, email or application servers.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Proficiency with administrative scripting languages.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Bachelor's degree plus six years experience supporting production UNIX / Linux systems in a 24/7/365 environment.
Weekend Hours Required?
Evening Hours Required?
Background Check Requirements
All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of a background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
What do former President George W. Bush and actress Meryl Streep have in common? They are Yalies. Yale University is one of the...