Facebook is seeking a forward thinking experienced engineer to join the Site Operations Team. This position is full-time and will be based in Altoona, IA.
We seek an IT professional with advanced hands-on technical skills in Networks, Server Hardware and Linux (Ideally in a Data Center environment). Additionally, experience in leading a technical team and supporting knowledge transfer to others is required. Having depth and breadth knowledge of managing servers in a large-scale distributed environment is a core competency of this individual.
The candidate should also have deep knowledge and experience in at least one of the following core areas: Networking, Project Management, Tool and Automation, Hardware and OS repair.
- Understand and debug network, hardware, and Linux OS related issues
- Install and troubleshoot switches, routers, and other networking gear
- Drive specifications for tools that facilitate administration of servers spanning multiple data centers, to include automation and streamlining of processes
- Help to develop global standards and promote best practices in data center operations
- Assist in tracking data center issues and keeping Facebook servers alive and serving
- Introduce process improvements and encourage best practices in data center operations
- Predict data center growth and scaling issues before they occur and implement solutions
- Provide leadership to data center technicians and facilitate cross-functional communication with other technical operations groups
- BS or BA in technical field or commensurate experience
- Solid industrial experience working with Linux (Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, SUSE, Ubuntu,Debian, Gentoo), or Unix (Solaris, AIX, HP-UX)
- Solid Python, SQL and/or shell scripting knowledge
- Hands on experience with routers and managed switches (inc. Cisco)
- Experience supervising, training, mentoring and leading other technicians.
- Minimum of four years Linux and hardware systems support in an Internet operations environment
- Should be experienced in large-scale data center hardware deployments and building scaling infrastructure
- Should have a solid understanding of enterprise level networking and storage equipment installs
- Should have an understanding of out-of-band/lights-out server communication methods, such as IPMI and serial console
- Competency in bash, php, python, or perl scripting is preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must possess excellent time and project management skills
- Must have willingness to crawl under 30in. raised floor when needed. Able to lift/move 20-30 lbs equipment on a daily basis
Facebook is a social utility that connects people with friends, business contacts and others who work, study and live around them.