Changing the world is all in a day's work at Apple. If you love innovation, here's your chance to make a career of it. You'll work hard. But the job comes with more than a few perks.
Apple's Patent Licensing & Strategy group develops and implements the Company's strategies relating to patent acquisitions, inbound and outbound patent licensing, freedom to operate and strategic IP relationships. We "look around corners" to help protect and secure technology relating to Apple's products and innovations, and we support business and engineering efforts to expand Apple's technical capabilities and IP protection in connection with new and existing products and services. We are looking for an experienced licensing counsel with a proven track record of negotiating and closing complex patent licensing deals to join our team and hit the ground running. This position requires the hybrid skill sets of an IP lawyer and a licensing executive, and is ideally suited to someone with a background in IP law/litigation who has leveraged that experience in a role negotiating and closing complex patent licenses and/or acquisitions.
The primary focus is to work with Apple’s business and engineering teams to develop patent strategy and close strategic licensing deals. The successful candidate will have a proven track record of building sustainable licensing programs and engaging with licensors to accomplish strategic goals.
Essential Responsibilities Include:
Responsible for driving a focused licensing strategy, building strong business linkages with the product teams and inculcating patent licensing initiatives into our product strategy.
Develops & drives other licensing actions focused on establishing best-in-class cost structures and minimizing royalty burdens
Responsible for driving and executing key IP standards-based licensing business initiatives.
The successful candidate will have the following attributes:
Understands the sensitivity of the Company’s exposures & develops plans to mitigate them.
- Unique mastery and recognized authority on IP subject matter
- Contributes to the development of new licensing deals. Successfully operates in the most complex disciplines in which the company may have a number of divergent interests.
Must gather information regarding corporate structures, industry alliances, and customer relationships of licensors and licensees. Comprehend and interpret financials, marketing, competitive intelligence and other business information, including understanding business strategies of licensors and licensees and the personalities and motivations of decision makers and deal negotiators.
Provide technology and patent portfolio analysis for the purposes of developing strategic initiatives.
Assemble patent intelligence for counter assertions in defensive actions. Changing the world is all in a day's work at Apple. If you love innovation, here's your chance to make a career of it. You'll work hard. But the job comes with more than a few perks.
Apple's Patent Licensing & Strategy group develops and implements the Company's strategies relating to patent acq... Key Qualifications:
- 6+ years in the IP licensing field with a proven track record in closing significant deals
- Experience operating at a fast pace in a complex patent licensing environment (e.g., consumer electronics, medical device, biotech, semiconductor)
- Advanced knowledge and experience in business strategies
- Experience negotiating and drafting patent licensing transactions and provisions, and understanding real-world implications of those provisions (e.g., in litigation)
- Deal-making and negotiation acumen
- Confidence and credibility to work directly with high-level corporate executives
- Highly Desired Qualifications include:
- Patent litigation experience
- Licensing experience relating to mobile communications devices, computer components, medical electronics/sensors, semiconductors
- International negotiation and licensing experience
- Experience with standards, standards-essential patent licensing, and RAND/FRAND obligations
JD (or equivalent law degree) and excellent academic credentials
Apple reinvented the mobile phone with its revolutionary iPhone and App Store, defined the future of mobile media and computing devices with...