This position will safely manage all operations and functions of a 1.5-2M ton underground mine facility (including mine planning, drill and blast, maintenance, processing and shipping). This position will also manage community relations, labor relations and a workforce of approx. 20 employees and 3-4 direct reports.
The individual will ensure safe operation of plant and adherence to highest environmental standards.
- College Degree preferred: Mining or Civil Engineering degree preferred
function as a team player.
- At least 5 years of management experience in the aggregate industry
- Experience in the management of union employees preferred
- Must have managed a workforce of at least 15 employees
- Track record of successful leadership in mining and/or processing operations
- Exemplifies strong coaching skills to encourage safe behaviors
- Must be a self-starter and work independently without direct supervision.
- Must be dependable, reliable, conscientiousness, detail oriented, good communicator and
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Basic computer skills (intermediate level Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Knowledge of MSHA laws and requirements is a plus
- Ability to plan and manage effectively in a fast paced environment
- AutoCAD experience helpful
- Strong communication skills and interpersonal skills (incl. coaching and conflict resolution)
- Ability to represent VMC in a professional manner to all customers, vendors, and internal personnel
travel by airline.
- Use of telephone, computers, cell phones and other electronic devices is essential.
- Must have the ability to lift 50 pounds and to stand and walk for long periods of time.
- Must have the ability to drive a pick-up truck on a daily basis; there may be a periodic need to
- Must have the ability to use computerized equipment and technology
technical information and decision making.
- Ability to work in a very stressful, deadline oriented environment that requires complex,
Tools and Equipment Used
- Ability to present complex information in a clear and concise manner.
Motorized vehicles, computers, telephones, fax machines, and cell phones
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
1. Production: Provide product inventory management (production and sales); customer service; and interaction with internal sales force to effectively meet customer needs. The candidate will also have strong communication skills to interact with a central dispatch team, quality control team and others to ensure effective distribution of products.
2. Maintenance: Supervise the day-to-day operations of maintenance (coordinate maintenance projects, service work, and repairs to ensure proper utilization and maintenance of all stationary and mobile equipment so that equipment cost and downtime are minimized and the equipment is available when needed).
3. Safety, Health, and Environment: Be proactive in the safety of all personnel and activities in the plant area. Inspect and maintain dust control systems to ensure a healthy work environment. Be knowledgeable of waste products, their impact on the environment and their proper disposal.
4. Supervision: Provide an example of good leadership, keep open, effective lines of communication with division staff and plant level personnel, and provide coaching at all levels.
5. Quality Control: Work closely with the Supervisor onsite to ensure we maintain consistency in the quality of preventative and demand maintenance jobs.
6. Government Relations: Interact with government representatives from MSHA, ATF, EPA, IDNR, etc.
7. Labor Relations: Interact with union stewards and business agents
Vulcan Materials Company - 22 months ago