Assistant Director for Housing Services
The George Mason University, Office of Housing and Residence Life welcomes all qualified candidates to apply for the Assistant Director for Housing Services vacancy.
The Assistant Director for Housing Services is a professional staff member responsible for assisting in the administration and management of operations of the residence halls. The primary responsibilities include occupancy management and billing, special populations and reporting, supervision and customer service, and special projects.
Occupancy Management and Billing:
The Assistant Director for Housing Services is responsible for overseeing and working with occupancy management. In addition, through collaboration with Business Administration, Facilities, and Residence Life, along with other offices on campus, ensure accurate billing for students.
- Manage the overall housing assignment operation including room assignments, contract collection, withdrawals, review and interpret policies, and maintain accurate records and floor plans for all residences;
- Confer and correspond with students, parents, faculty and staff concerning housing options, rates, and the assignment process;
- Monitor and correspond with current residents regarding housing eligibility enrollment status, years in residency, minimum credit requirements, payment status, etc.
- In collaboration with other departments, coordinate all housing selection/lottery and assignment processes for all students;
- Coordinate and oversee all room change processes, housing waitlist(s), and resolve housing assignment issues;
- Work with the Facility staff and Residence Life staff to ensure unit readiness for move-ins and transfers by submitting maintenance and cleaning needs;
- Oversee the housing application process, communication with prospective residents both on the wait-list and those made offers, and application maintenance utilizing Residential Management System ( RMS ) Student Web and the Ellucian Banner system;
- Monitor and report housing occupancy;
- Coordinate all student account maintenance functions related to housing;
- Ensure accurate billing on student accounts in collaboration with other offices;
- Oversee damage assessment and billing process;
- Monitor and ensure accuracy of miscellaneous fee charges and assessments;
- Review and maintain housing charge codes and tables;
- Oversee collection of all housing deposits including monthly reconciliation of housing deposits within Banner and Student Accounts;
- Work with Information Technology Unit staff to improve information flow between RMS and Banner, implement RMS upgrade to Mercury, and improve implementation of RMS ; and
- Document procedures and update the Housing Web site regarding current or changed policies and procedures.
Special Populations and Reporting:
The Assistant Director for Housing Services is expected to work with special populations within housing to ensure successful housing experiences for these populations, which is supportive of the goals and mission of the Office of Housing and Residence Life.
- In collaboration with the Director for Living and Learning Communities and Departmental Leadership, coordinate assignments and placement of Living and Learning Communities;
- Coordinate placement and space needs for Athletics, China 1-2-1, Moscow State University, English Language Institute, Center for Global Education, and other programs as determined to support the goals and vision of the department and the university;
- Serve as the liaison with the Office of Disability Services to ensure that the accommodation needs of residents are being met;
- Communicate, as appropriate, all housing matters to various departments and constituencies;
- Prepare and disseminate reports and rosters to all appropriate university personnel; and
- Develop reports to reflect assessment needs and goals of the department and university.
Supervision and Customer Service:
The Assistant Director for Housing Services is responsible for supervising the neighborhood Housing Services staff to ensure that staff are well trained on policies and procedures in order to provide excellent Customer Service for all constituents.
- Supervise the Housing Services Coordinators, including but not limited to: recommendations for hiring, termination, training, work allocation, and problem-solving;
- Train and supervise professional and paraprofessional staff in all room assignment and housing functions;
- Assessment of housing procedures, policies and practices, followed by recommendation for and implementation of approved changes;
- Provide training for staff at all levels on the RMS and Banner programs and other commonly used software programs within the department; and
- Implement information sessions and training sessions for stakeholders on Housing processes.
The Assistant Director for Housing Services is responsible for assessment and customer service efforts for the department. This includes, but is not limited to: data collection, data analysis, and providing recommendations for improvement.
- In collaboration with the Associate Director for Residence Life, oversee and coordinate opening and closing procedures at the beginning and end of semester breaks and vacation periods;
- Assist with summer and extended period housing for students;
- Participates on university committees/projects;
- In collaboration with the Associate Director for Housing Services, departmental leadership, and Residence Life, develop a Housing Appeals Committee;
- Attend residence hall events, town meetings, and various department/committee meetings;
- Serve in the role of Associate Director of Housing Services in that position’s absence; and
- Adhere to commonwealth and university guidelines regarding making purchases and financial transactions.
- Bachelor’s degree and significant post-degree, full-time experience in university housing or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required;
- Progressively increasing work in student housing, educational administration, student services, or comprehensive operations with high expectations for customer service (five to seven years is preferred);
- Proficiency in the knowledge of database structures, tables, fields, queries and scripts;
- Demonstrated proficiency of the RMS or other leading university housing management database software;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with demonstrated success with customer service and satisfaction;
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrated project planning success;
- Must have knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office software package and Ellucian SCT Banner;
- Proven ability to manage time effectively;
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and initiative;
- Experience as a supervisor of professional full-time staff (at least one year is preferred); and
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team-oriented environment.
- Master’s degree in college student personnel or a related field, and residence life experience;
- Experience using SQL and relational databases with networking and Internet access; and
- Experience with reporting tools.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number FA03Az at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
For Full Consideration, Apply by:
June 24, 2013
Mason Ad Statement
Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in 198 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
George Mason University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer encouraging diversity.
George Mason University - 16 months ago