The International Training and Education Center for Health (I-TECH) is a collaboration between the University of Washington and the University of California, San Francisco. It is a center in the University of Washington's Department of Global Health and has offices throughout Africa, Asia, and the Caribbean. I-TECH's 700 worldwide staff work in partnership with local ministries of health, universities, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), medical facilities, and other organizations to support the development of a skilled health work force and well-organized national health delivery systems. I-TECH's activities occur primarily in the technical areas of health system strengthening; health workforce development; operations research and evaluation; and prevention, care, and treatment of infectious diseases.
Our I-TECH DEPARTMENT has an outstanding opportunity for a TEMPORARY MONITORING & EVALUATION ADVISOR. This individual will work to improve the quality of I-TECH programs at headquarters (HQ) and in the Ethiopia field office. Under the supervision of the Ethiopia Team Lead and with guidance from other country team members, the Temp. M&E Advisor works with the in-country monitoring and evaluation team, as well as HQ and other in-country I-TECH staff, to assure M&E integration in all areas of technical assistance, offers leadership to further develop Quality Improvement systems for training and service delivery across all activity areas, and collects appropriate information on PEPFAR funded activities. The Temp. M&E Advisor will serve as the main HQ contact for particular planned evaluation projects which will occur in the 6-month time frame. Additionally, the Temp. M&E Advisor will collaborate with HQ country team members to support country specific evaluation needs with the goal of ensuring the quality and effectiveness of various program areas.
M&E Technical Assistance
• Attend regular weekly technical meetings with HQ-based Quality Improvement Team mates, country office counterparts, and other technical staff within the Ethiopia country team
• Develop results-based management and M&E frameworks and ensure relevance to evolving goals and objectives of I-TECH country programs
• In preparation for COP 2013, assist with clarification of goals, objectives and development of process and outcome indicators based on logic models for each program area
• Identify strategies and implement practices to close existing gaps between data points identified in the M&E framework and actual data collection/activities
• Work with I-TECH staff and country stakeholders to identify and collect data needed for reporting on training and education activities via tool development and systems strengthening
• Provide technical assistance to ensure data is analyzed, reported and used by country offices and partners
• Problem solve delays in data collection and provide leadership in implementing solutions
• Assist with short write-ups of accomplishments, lessons learned and best practices of focus program areas
• For projects where the Temp. QI Advisor is the main HQ contact person, take a leadership role in collaborating on comprehensive report writing, solicit feedback from M&E and program staff in-country, incorporate feedback from M&E and program staff into reports, and consult with relevant staff as needed to produce final program review reports
• Provide additional support to QI Advisors within the country team, and any other tasks assigned by team lead
• Work with QI team at HQ, M&E team in-country and program teams to determine the research agenda for the year, advocating for those most needed for programmatic decision making as well as those with publication potential
• Participate in development of research design, taking the lead in some projects and providing technical assistance/reviewing work on other projects
• Draft, adapt, and/or revise data collection tools
• Identify gaps and weaknesses in processes for study, protocol, and tool development and develop and implement plans to address those gaps
• Provide training and technical assistance to improve the quality of the protocols and tools
• Lead or assist in developing applications for technical and ethical clearance (from CDC, UW and others as needed) and track progress of applications through the approval processes
• Provide assistance in design and implementation of Continuous Quality Improvement activities using the Model for Improvement
• Provide leadership to ensure data is analyzed, reported and used by the Ethiopia country office, headquarters, and partners
• Analyze qualitative and quantitative data, and provide technical guidance to others analyzing data
• Produce tables, charts, and graphs for assessments and evaluations in line with data analysis plans
• Write reports and create PowerPoint presentations to disseminate findings of evaluations
• Assist program managers in using data for decision making
Master's Degree in social or behavioral sciences or equivalent with some formal training in program evaluation.
At least 4 years of relevant experience, including 3 years of international experience.
• Experience with evaluation or research design, M&E frameworks, data collection and analysis
• Familiarity with: training/human resource development and HIV/AIDS care and support services
• Demonstrated ability to facilitate communication between professionals with a variety of cultural backgrounds in a respectful and diplomatic manner and enhance effective partnerships
• Ability to develop and carry out work plans and solve problems independently
• Strong writing and public presentation skills
• Experience working in team settings, preferably in an international capacity
• Strong organizational and computer skills including MS Word, Power Point and Excel
• Knowledge of statistical analysis, quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis
• Knowledge and usage experience of statistical software packages such as Atlas.ti, STATA, SPSS
• Experience and knowledge in developing applications for institutional/ethical review boards
• Demonstrated ability to identify, modify, and apply research methods to programmatic environment
• Demonstrated responsibility for leadership in data analysis and presentation of results
Experience with monitoring and evaluation of health services, health education and training, preferably in an international context.
Experience working or living in African countries is highly desirable. Experience analyzing evaluation data from diverse core and country programs. Strong commitment to building personal and organizational capacity.
Experience with complex, multi-faceted projects. Proficiency in oral and written Amharic highly desirable.
Condition of Employment:
A satisfactory outcome from a criminal background verification will be required prior to hire.
Part of the application process for this position includes two required assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process: a Cover Letter assessment, where you will have the opportunity to provide a cover letter for this specific position; and the Employment Eligibility Assessment. (If you have taken the Employment Eligibility Assessment already while applying to a job at the UW, you won't need to take it again). The assessment(s) will appear on your screen for you to complete as soon as you select "Apply to this Position" on this job announcement. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until the assessments are complete.
University of Washington Medical Center - 10 months ago