Masonite is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of interior doors and entry door systems.
Throughout the company's 80 year history, Masonite has maintained its focus on leading-edge innovation, manufacturing excellence and superior customer service. Masonite is committed to delivering product and service innovations that will enhance beauty, functionality and architectural design to its customers around the world. Builders, remodelers, architects and homeowners rely on Masonite products to create homes of distinction.
The position will be responsible for application of polymer science to new product/process development, and process optimization of polymer composites for door components and door products. Also responsible for providing expertise in analytical instrument and testing, and analysis of polymer based composites.
- Develop innovative polymer composite products – such as next generation of SMC and other polymer based door skins, door components (e.g. foam core, stiles and rails, lite frames, jambs), and doors (exterior and interior) from lab experiments, scale-up to commercial products.
- Provide expertise in analytical chemistry and testing, and analysis of various materials (primarily polymer and wood based composites, adhesives, and coatings) to enable accelerated product and process development cycle and quality improvement without always engaging costly large scale experiments and manufacturing trials.
- Keep on top of technology development in polymer science, polymer application and analytical chemistry.
- Support material change and optimization projects in SMC based door skin manufacturing, adhesives, and polymeric foams with emphasis on performance enhancement, quality improvement and cost reduction.
- Support Lean Sigma projects and initiatives.
- Work with global sourcing and operational groups on qualifying raw materials (e.g. resin, adhesive, foam, fiberglass), components, and doors. Keep close interactions with suppliers and equipment manufacturers.
- Support other functional group’s initiatives such as in product engineering for product development and specifications, sales, product management/marketing.
- Provide timely customer and technical support in resolving product field performance issues.
- The analytical capability also includes providing insight into fundamental polymer reaction chemistry, composite material and product behaviors in the door applications to explain failure modes and analyze root causes with sound analytical techniques.
- Support projects that need analytical testing and analysis including new product development, technology development, process optimization, benchmarking, and cost savings.
- Ph.D. in Polymer Science, Material Science, Polymer or Chemical Engineering, Analytical Chemistry, or equivalent field.
- 5 years or more in experience with polymer composite products, application processes (e.g. compression molding, composite lamination, injection molding, extrusion, pultrusion, foaming) and product performance testing
- Skills in instrument and analytical techniques, e.g. Spectroscopy (FTIR, NIR, UV), Thermal analysis (TGA, DSC), DMA, Gas chromatography
- Lean sigma training and experience preferred with proven track record of continuous improvement of polymer composite systems
- Ability to interact with other functional groups and polymer suppliers
- Experimental design and statistical data analysis
- Computer proficiency and technical writingStrong combined skill set in polymer science and analytical chemistry
- Self-motivated. Demonstrated leadership and accountability to drive for innovation and results
- Ability to meet project timeline and customer expectations
- Strong ability to work in team environment to lead or support project development
- Ability to communicate with teams at all levels of the organization
- Ability to manage multiple tasks
- Adaptability and willingness to change
- Proven track record of problem solving and innovative solutions
- Willingness to travel occaisionally
At Masonite, we believe every door is a connection, and we’ve been building better ones for more than 80 years. Still we continue to...