PLEASE NOTE: THIS RECRUITMENT IS ONLY OPEN FOR CURRENT COUNTY EMPLOYEES.
The Auditor-Controller Department has an opening in their Payroll Division for an Accounting Technician I position.
The Accounting Technician I in the Payroll Division of ACO will be responsible for processing and updating payroll records for medical deductions/benefits, tax updates, W4's and DE4's, garnishments and direct deposits.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
- Compiles, monitors and researches data for reports and budget projections; assists in the preparation, or prepares, complex statistical and financial reports including reconciliation of various statements on a weekly/monthly basis.
- Performs responsible paraprofessional accounting work; prepares periodic statements and analysis of revenues and expenditures; anticipates, identifies and resolves problems in accounting operations.
- Prepares claims and expenditure reports; prepares analytical reports on revenues and expenditures with review of specialized/technical accounting records and processes a variety of invoices and billings.
- Prepares reports on the status of services, contracts, grants, fee receipts, entitlement and reimbursement programs, accounts receivable, accounts payable and trust accounts.
- May assist other staff in the solving of difficult and unusual problems relating to payroll, accounts receivable, revenue and cost accounting.
- Answers questions that involve searching for and abstracting technical data to provide an explanation of laws, policies and procedures.
OPTION I: One year experience as a Senior Accounting Assistant with the County of Riverside or an equivalent position.
OPTION II: Three years of experience in the maintenance and review of fiscal, financial or statistical records, including one year in the reconciliation of accounts (experience in reconciling governmental budget accounts is preferred). One year of the required non-specialized experience may be substituted as listed under Education.
Education Substitute: One year of the required non-specialized experience may be substituted with the completion of 12 semester or 18 quarter units in accounting from an accredited college or university. All required experience may be substituted with a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration with an emphasis in Accounting from an accredited college or university.
BOTH OPTIONS REQUIRE: Working knowledge with Microsoft Word, Excel, PeopleSoft HRMS and payroll processing experience. This experience must include knowledge of governmental accounting systems, procedures and regulations as well as federal and state payroll tax reporting rules and laws. Knowledge of County financial document processing such as vouchers, journal entries and union MOU's is also required.
Candidates must also have knowledge of basic accounting principles to perform reconciliation process.
Possession of a Fundamental Payroll Certificate or Certified Payroll Professional is highly desired.
Possession of the Fundamental Payroll Certification issued by the American Payroll Association within 12 months from date of hire is required. In addition, possession of a valid California Class C Driver's License may be required of some positions in this class.
County of Riverside - 14 months ago