This position is responsible for planning, organizing and supervising all aspects of a specific location laboratory or laboratory department, in support of the clinical staff in caring for our patients by providing high value laboratory services that maximize the effectiveness of KP's overall program.
• Plan and direct operations in Laboratory department or location(s) to ensure accurate, high quality, appropriate, cost effective and timely service oriented test results to providers and patients. Under CLIA §493.1463, be responsible for day-to-day supervision and oversight of the laboratory operation and personnel.
• Assure that tests are performed properly and results are verified before release; formulate, maintain, and review departmental procedures; coordinate the distribution and participation of proficiency testing, review results, take appropriate corrective action; maintain and monitor Quality Control Programs; initiate and coordinate Department and Quality Assurance Plans. coordinate the preparation for all accreditation inspections, facilitate the inspection process, formulate corrective action as necessary; coordinate departmental equipment maintenance. provide on-site supervision when high complexity testing is performed by individuals.
• Select, develop and retain competent professional satisfied staff. Recruit, interview, select, orient, provide, training, coach, evaluate performance, recognize achievements; initiate, implement and document all department continuing education events; counsel, discipline and terminate in accordance with state and Federal law; EEO guidelines and organizational policies.
• Interact with department staff, with other Healthcare professionals and with other departments inside and outside the organization.
• Represent department and address issues through committee or taskforce meetings; ACT as liaison between management and staff, assist the staff in team building and participate in team building with own peer group; obtain information or services from vendors, consult with medical personnel regarding patient testing; work with other departments to resolve problems.
• Develop and administer the department budget.
• Analyze factors contributing to financial operations; collaborate with Director(s) when applicable, to identify department needs; formulate operational budget; present justification for non-standard requests, maintain and monitor all financial reports; interpret variances; initiate adjustments, approve all purchases consistent with approved operating budgets and signature authority.
• Collaborate with Director(s)/Manager to determine department needs; develop or assist with plans for procurement of new equipment/space, coordinate the implementation of such; research current trends and cost effective options; initiate capital equipment requests; participate in capital equipment and process meetings if applicable; propose renovation projects; participate in lab expansion or remodel project planning and manage implementation; establish and coordinate the plans for training/inservicing/retraining.
• Act to protect safety of staff and patients by providing safety inservices or information to staff by monitoring the department environment for safety hazards and by ensuring the department is in compliance with regulations for Hazard Communications, Infection Control, Radiation Safety and other organizational and department safety policies.
• A minimum of 4 years of experience as a Medical Technologist or Microbiologist or Virologist or Immunologist or Clinical Chemist or Cytogeneticist or Cytologist or Histotechnologist under a qualified Director
• Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology, Cytology or related science
• Completion of approved program in Medical Technology, Histotechnology, Cytology or equivalent knowledge
• Affiliation: NCA or ASCP or equivalent within 90 days of hire.
• Valid driver's license
• Demonstrated verbal and written command of the English language
• Demonstrated willingness or desire to further develop interpersonal communication skills
• Demonstrated problem solving and analytical skills
• Demonstrated customer-focused service skills
• A minimum of 2 years of supervisory experience
• Previous experience with KP or HMO
• Working knowledge of State, Federal or other regulatory laboratory requirements
• Basic budgeting knowledge
• Principles of supervision and management
• Knowledge of automated lab systems and computers
• Basic computer skills
• Excellent organization and prioritization skills
• Excellent communication (verbal and written) skills
• Demonstrated flexibility
• Excellent conflict resolution and problem solving skills
$70,800 - $92,000
At Kaiser Permanente, all of us, from accounting, sales and IT, to our care delivery teams on the front lines, stand for Total Health....