KeyPoint Government Solutions is currently seeking independent contractors to be background investigators in the Stafford, VA area.
This opportunity is ideal for individuals who are willing to initially commit a significant amount of time in order to obtain a government security clearance and operate as a credentialed background investigator on behalf of the federal government. Upon receiving security clearance and graduating from the government mandated training class, independent contractors work independently and receive a variable amount of investigative assignments dependent on the workload KeyPoint receives from the government and the independent contractors own availability. Independent contractors have a flexible schedule due to the fact that they schedule their own subject interviews, source interviews and agency appointments.
Who has been successful in this role?
Successful independent contractors come from almost any background. If you have a desire to protect your country, the ability to obtain a security clearance and commit to a training process, please read further!
- Retired military and federal employees
- Military spouses/partners
- Business owners (real estate, insurance etc)
- Retired professionals such as educators, law enforcement and first responders
- Current college students or college graduates
- Working parents
What will I be doing?
Independent contractors run their own business and contract with KeyPoint Government Solutions to conduct background investigations in support of national security, focusing on casework for the Office of Personnel Management (OPM). Engagements include collecting background information, which is then provided to the government for the purpose of determining employment suitability of persons who require access to sensitive or classified U.S. Government information.
Independent contractors conduct face-to-face interviews with the subject and his/her neighbors, employers, friends and family, as well as, perform record searches at police agencies, courthouses, educational institutions, financial institutions and medical/mental health facilities. Information obtained is then typed into a clear and concise report on a government-mandated computer system.
In what area will I receive task invitations?
Independent Contractors receive investigative casework within 50 miles of their home location. Mileage and travel expenses are the independent contractor’s own business expenses and are not reimbursed. Additionally, relocation assistance is not available for this position. Candidates must be in the location of the work before the start of the government-mandated training. Additional work is generally available in different geographic areas at the independent contractor’s request. Many independent contractors have seasonal homes, or visit family members and friends for long periods of time in another area and request work in several locations throughout the year.
What is an independent contractor?
This position is ideal for candidates who have other commitments and are only seeking supplementary or limited income by operating their own business. Most investigative tasks are completed during business hours, Monday-Friday due to subject, source and court house availability. However, report writing (typing) and some tasks may be completed at other times that best meet the independent contractor’s schedule. Investigative tasks have specific government due dates and generally must be completed within 2-3 weeks. Independent contractors work from their own home office.
What is required by the government?
- Are not employees of KeyPoint, are not benefit-eligible, are not paid by the hour and are not bound to any schedule.
- Must have established their own business and will be asked to provide the following business documents: evidence of insurance and marketing materials; further, these additional documents (if applicable) : Fictitious name statement filing, Articles of Incorporation, City or County business license, Professional License and business bank account information
- Must provide a W-9, will receive a 1099 and are obligated by law to file their own business taxes
- Will be compensated on an engagement-completed basis giving the contractor the ability, through efficiency, to be able to maximize profit
- Must maintain appropriate types and levels of insurance coverage including auto insurance and liability insurance
- Will be able to completely control their work schedule by accepting or rejecting offered work
- Will have complete flexibility to perform similar or other services for third parties (including all competitors)
- Will be responsible for correcting task assignment mistakes without any compensation for the time such corrections take.
Training: Independent contractors must attend the required OPM background investigator training course. Time during the training is unpaid during weeks 1-7 and only the investigator’s own completed casework is paid on a task-completed basis during weeks 8-10.
Security clearance: Independent contractors with a current active federal security clearance (SSBI/TS level) are preferred. However, if the most qualified independent contractor does not have a current clearance KeyPoint will request the clearance. The government requires that the independent contractor be able to obtain & maintain a federal government security clearance which includes an investigation of 10+ years of history including items such as residence, education, employment, financial, medical and personal records. U.S. citizenship is required for security clearance.
- Week 1: Teleconference from your home location. The schedule is not flexible.
- Weeks 2-4: Eighty hours of investigative observation spread over 3 weeks. During this time you will shadow a current investigator in your home location*. This schedule is only partially flexible and is dependent on the field trainer’s schedule, as well as, the availability of interview subjects and sources. *If there are not enough investigative tasks in your home location another location may be designated.
- Weeks 5-7: Three consecutive weeks of classroom training that are generally held at our Loveland, CO headquarters office.
- Week 8+: Eighty hours completing field casework with a field trainer or mentor in your home location.
Transportation: Due to travel requirements, reliable transportation is required. If an independent contractor utilizes a personal vehicle, a valid driver’s license and proof of current auto insurance are required.
Independent contractors should have:
About KeyPoint Government Solutions, Inc.:
- Experience conducting OPM background investigations preferred; candidates with 4 years of general work experience or a Bachelor's degree will also be considered
- Ability to pass a government required post-offer drug test per contract requirements
- Comfort with typing and intermediate computer skills (specifically email and Microsoft Word)
- Excellent written communication skills due to report writing requirements
- Ability to effectively manage time to meet government deadlines and work independently
- Ability to professionally and effectively interact with a variety of individuals
- Ability to attend appointments with subjects, sources and agencies at their own convenience, usually Monday-Friday during business hours
- Ability to attend the independent contractor training class including 3-5 weeks away from home, as described above.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a government security clearance
KeyPoint Government Solutions is an investigative and risk-mitigation services company that delivers advisory, monitoring, compliance and other solutions across a variety of related practice areas. Our primary areas of expertise include background investigations, infrastructure safety and security, emergency management, criminal justice services, fraud investigations and program management. Led by team of highly regarded industry authorities, our workforce of almost 1,600 investigators and subject matter experts supports a wide variety of clientele including the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), the Office of Personnel Management (OPM), Customs and Border Protection (CBP), and more. Our reputation is consistent with quality, integrity and exceeding both our clients’ and employees’ expectations. KeyPoint has offices in Washington, D.C., New York, N.Y., Austin, Tex., and Loveland, Colo.
KeyPoint Government Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V.
KeyPoint Government Solutions - 17 months ago