To clean and perform routine maintenance of campus buildings, including residence halls, classrooms, and administrative offices. This position may require nights and weekends.
- Clean floors. This includes vacuuming, sweeping, dust moping, washing, striping, waxing, and buffing.
- Shampoo carpets.
- Wash windows, walls, chalkboards, trash cans.
- Dust furniture, fixtures, woodwork.
- Collect and empty trash receptacles and pick up litter in and around buildings.
- Remove biological waste.
- Clean, sanitize and stock bathrooms; change and clean shower curtains.
- Replace light bulbs.
- Operate basic equipment, including low speed buffers, burnishing machines, extractors, auto scrubbing machines, and wet vacuums.
- Move furniture.
- Do routine maintenance of electrical, heating and ventilating vents and fixtures.
- Assist in snow removal.
- Understands and complies with MSDS and HAZCOM procedures and policies as part of UNE's comprehensive OSHA compliance program
- Understand and comply with OSHA's Bloodborn Pathogen Standard ( 29 CFR 1910.1030) and Chapter 8 of the University of New England Safety Manual.
- Understand and comply with OSHA requirements (29 CFR Part 1910) for Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as defined by the University Chemical Hygiene Officers, the Environmental Health and Safety Coordinator (EHSC), the supervisor and Chapter 17 of the University of New England Safety Manual.
- Understands and complies with University of New England's Safety Manual.
- Perform related duties as necessary.
- Assist in training and overseeing the work of helpers assigned by supervisor.
Direct supervision is received from senior housekeeping staff or the Supervisor of Housekeeping and Grounds.
High school education desirable. General knowledge and skills related to routine housekeeping and maintenance work, with commercial/institutional cleaning experience desirable.
* Background check may be required.
- Ability to perform tasks in specific sequences.
- Physical ability to do heavy custodial work and operate cleaning equipment.
- Ability to understand and follow written instructions, chemical labels and warnings.
- Ability to work cooperatively with other employees and to deal courteously with students, faculty and staff.
- Experience running floor machines (such as shampooer, scrubber, or buffer) is preferred, but not required.