Job Title: Director of Communications
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Location: Alexandria, VA
Under the direction of the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), is responsible for the administration, leadership, management, and operation of the strategic communications of Alexandria Renew Enterprises.
Responsible for enabling effective relationships with stakeholders, government officials, public schools, media representatives, community leaders, employees, and the general public. In the absence of the CEO or COO, this position serves as spokesperson for Alex Renew.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepares and implements Annual Communications Plan that sets goals, defines strategies; identifies and develops specific communication products, such as newsletters, web site features, press releases, articles, etc., in alignment with Alex Renew’s strategic plan.
- Responsible for development of electronic and print publications in support of brand strategy.
- Responsible for website, Facebook and twitter look, feel, content and upkeep.
- Responsible for budget development and implementation as it relates to communications.
- Keeps abreast of trends in water and environmental profession.
- Interpret strategy and develop associated action plans that enable the Company to meet environmental commitments and improve internal operations and practices.
- Relentlessly seeks shares and adopts ideas and best practices in and outside the Company and embraces change introduced by others.
- Represents the organization to professional bodies, community organizations and to state and local agencies as requested.
- Research and maintain an awareness of public relations, communications and media relations techniques and strategies to provide advice and assistance to CEO as needed.
- Identify media audiences and recommend the best way to communicate publicity information to them; develop and implement approved communication plan.
- Review advertising and promotion programs for compatibility with public relations efforts.
- Develop and maintain Alex Renew’s external image and identity, to include the use of logos and signage and Alex Renew’s internal image and identity, to include development of new programs that support Alex Renew’s vision and mission.
- Coordinate, develop and communicate information to the public regarding major scheduled events and projects aimed at extending external and internal branding opportunities.
- Respond to general requests, inquiries, or complaints for information about Alex Renew’s activities or status.
- Synthesize technical data to draft speeches, talking points and presentations for the CEO or other organizational staff who are presenting or providing an interview at conferences, industry events and other public appearances.
- Collects and archives relevant media stories for historical reference.
- Serves as liaison between ARenew departments, media, community, and professional groups.
- Prepares video and presentation scripts, special reports, and proposals.
- Advises the executive team of potential internal and external communication issues and recommends solutions.
- Enforces and assists in the interpretation of Federal, Virginia, and local laws applicable to specific communications functions
- Oversees communications productions which produce informational programming for citizens, employees and businesses.
- Coordinates a response to all FOIA requests from the media, citizens and others seeking the assigned ARenew departments’ information.
- Ensures internal coverage of ARenew department events, including photography support. Provides timely communication to employees.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, objectives, techniques, and methods of public information management.
- Minimum of seven years of experience in public relations, communications, media relations or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Scientific background with knowledge of environmental issues or wastewater industry preferred.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships; ability to work under pressure and meet firm deadlines; and ability to work independently or in a team environment.
- Ability to present a calm, confident, thoughtful and professional image to the public in stressful situations before reporters, cameras and crowds.
- Exercise tact, courtesy, respect and discretion when working with staff, Board and community members at various levels of authority and influence.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, thorough knowledge and ability to effectively use written and verbal English usage and journalistic style and public speaking ability.
- Knowledge of media requirements regarding content, format, and timing of official releases and ability to write, edit, and design visual material for publication or displays.
- Ability to work with desktop and web publishing software; and knowledge of fundamentals of still photography and ability to plan and execute photographic and video graphic coverage.
Bachelor’s degree in public relations, journalism, communications, marketing, liberal arts, English or related field. Master’s degree in related field preferred.
Ability to communicate information orally and in writing to large audiences so others will understand
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Employee may be required to drive a motor vehicle in conjunction with travel to and attendance at meetings away from the worksite to conduct business or public relations work.
Employee in this position will work in various general office areas throughout the facility and comparable areas when attending meetings or conferences. Work is lightly active with intermittent movement throughout work hours. Movement may include walking, bending, lifting, and standing and may occur in offices, warehouses, or similar areas.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that an employee may perform on an occasional to regular basis while performing functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform these functions.
Indeed - 18 months ago