General Statement of Duties
Operates heavy motorized equipment for road and sewer construction, and landfill maintenance activities; does related work as required.
Distinguishing Features of the Class
This is skilled technical work involving the operation of heavy equipment in the construction, maintenance and repair of City-County roads, streets, bridges and alleys, sewer collection system, and the City-County landfill. The work is performed under the general direction and supervision of the Road Superintendent, Sewer Maintenance Superintendent, or Landfill Superintendent, but considerable leeway is granted for the exercise of independent judgement and initiative. The nature of the work performed requires that an employee in this class establish and maintain close cooperative working relationships with supervisory personnel, other department and division employees, business owners, home owners and the general public.
This position requires union membership with IUOE Local 400.
Examples of Essential Work (Illustrative Only)
• Operates heavy construction equipment such as dozers, loaders, backhoes, motor patrol, rollers, paver, hot plant, rotomill, crusher, and other vehicles and equipment to construct, maintain and repair City-County roads, streets, bridges and alleys, and sewage collection system, or to maintain the City-County landfill;
• Paves and uses a variety of hand and mechanical tools to make surface repairs as instructed;
• Performs a variety of tasks to chip seal surfaces, maintain culverts and roadway shoulders;
• Excavates surfaces to repair or replace sewage collection lines;
• Compacts garbage and covers landfill areas with dirt cover daily;
• Performs manual labor such as loading and unloading materials, shoveling, sweeping and operating hand equipment to assist in assigned construction, maintenance and repair activities;
• Demolishes condemned buildings and structures as assigned;
• Compacts, spreads, sweeps, hauls and places material on roads, streets, bridges and other rights-of-way;
• Patches potholes and makes surface repairs on roadways;
• Operates plows, graders, loaders, and other equipment in adverse weather conditions;
• Attends meetings, conferences and workshops as requested and authorized;
• Familiar with Topcon Automatics on Graders
• Performs related work as required.
Acceptable Experience and Training
• Graduation from high school; and
• Preferred MSHA certified Miner Training; and
• Considerable experience operating and maintaining heavy road and street construction and maintenance equipment; or
• Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the work.
Required Special Qualifications
• Possession of a Commercial Drivers License issued by the State of Montana.
• Must be a resident of Butte-Silver Bow during employment according to Butte-Silver Bow Ordinance. See below.
“2.08.010 Residence during employment.
From and after October 1, 1979, all employees of the local government of Butte-Silver Bow shall be bona fide residents within the boundaries of Butte-Silver Bow during the period of their employment by the government of Butte-Silver Bow.
(Ord. 85 § 1, 1979)”
Essential Physical Abilities
• Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to communicate with supervisors, employees and the general public;
• Sufficient vision, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to observe street, road and bridge conditions and to operate motor vehicles and construction equipment;
• Sufficient manual dexterity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to operate motor vehicles and heavy construction equipment controls;
• Sufficient personal mobility, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to enter and exit motor vehicles and move a variety of heavy construction equipment and materials.
The job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities. Tasks and duties of the employee may differ from those outlined above.
City and County of Butte-Silver Bow, MT - 20 months ago
copy to clipboard