Technical Production Specialist
Job ID : 2013-15096
# of Positions: 1
Posted Date: 2/11/2013
Job Location: US-IA-Iowa City
Position Type: Regular Full Time
Category: Publishing Operations
Pearson has one defining goal: to help people progress in their lives through learning. We champion innovation and we invest in models for education that deliver on our promise for effective, accessible, and personal learning from early literacy, college and career readiness to professional education, through data informed instruction and inventive applications for mobile and digital learning.
Pearson, the world's leading learning company, has global-reach and market leading businesses in education, business, and consumer publishing and is listed on the London and New York stock exchanges (UK: PSON; NYSE: PSO). For more information, visit www.pearson.com.
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- This position can be located in: Austin, TX, San Antonio, TX, Iowa City, IA, or Owatonna, MN.*
The Technical Production Specialist is responsible for creating and editing high quality composition and pre-press files for assigned first print and reprint projects in addition to a variety of test publishing duties for online exam building. This position develops complex technical templates, electronic style sheets, libraries, tagging schemes, system configuration files and various software preference files in accordance with customer styles for use during item and form composition, creation of pre-press files, and online testing files. A Technical Production Specialist inspects, tests, evaluates, and verifies program specific system outputs for precision accuracy and reliability, edits tools, reviews items and forms, and completes edits as necessary to meet customer requirements and established quality standards. Performs risk mitigation and recommends corrective action. This position collaborates with all publishing teams and other functional areas to troubleshoot and track complex issues, recommend technical system updates, monitors status and adherence to schedule for all assigned projects.
- Builds and maintains various technical publishing tools needed for publishing teams to produce high quality paper and online items and forms (ie: preference files, toolbars, actions, templates, libraries, and config files). Provides technical support which includes; testing of scripts, problem analysis and solution recommendations for complex technical errors during item and form processing for paper and online systems.
- Implements customization techniques and XML tagging needs for multi-path product delivery including creating and modifying project-specific XML configuration files utilized in rendering items and forms for print and online deployment methodologies.
- Researches and suggests areas for improvement in established print and online systems and other internal publishing processes as well as documents issues with systems and processes and effectively communicates root cause and corrective actions to management.
- Produces and edits high quality print composition files using a variety of publishing software as well as performs quality control checks of multiple file types.
- Processes, packages, and edits XML files for online testing according to customer specifications using proprietary software tools as well as creates technology enhanced interactive items that function correctly in the Pearson online testing systems.
- Performs testing for enhancements to current technology and user acceptance testing (UAT). Performs batch testing on external project hand-offs and files conversions.
- Acts as a mentor to other designers, provides guidance and leadership to staff when new processes, systems, software, or procedures are implemented.
- Responsible for organizing, writing and reviewing design processes, specifications and project specific work instructions and training documents for paper and online. Reviews with management, provides staff training, tracks updates and communicates published revisions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, Graphic Arts, or a related field required
- Minimum 6 years experience in an educational testing company or a publishing environment
- Advanced knowledge of PC and MAC operating systems, Adobe CS (creative suite) applications, QuarkXpress, and Microsoft applications recommended
- Solid experience with multimedia system setup tools, various XML configurations, and composition automation
- Advanced knowledge in XML, HTML, Java or other scripting language preferred
- Thorough knowledge of 1-, 2-, and 4-color book print production including pre-press and manufacturing
- Advanced experience in online assessment environments and various deployment platforms
- Successful experience training and coaching others on detailed publishing processes, technical systems, and evolving technology
- Strong computer and technical skills, including expert knowledge of desktop computers, related hardware, and multimedia systems
- Professional and articulate verbal and written communication skills to describe challenges and solutions in both technical and layman’s terms to internal publishing teams, leadership, and other technical groups
- Strong attention to detail and dedicated to quality of deliverables and client satisfaction
- Effective and collaborative relationships with key contacts and strong team building skills
- Proven time management, proactive planning and prioritization skills with numerous cross competing deadlines
- Creative problem-solving skills; strong technical and tactical thinking demonstrated by ability to independently trouble shoot and recommend effective solutions
- Ability to quickly learn technical concepts and new technology via self-study and from other technical teams
- Self-motivated with strong curiosity and desire to develop and enhance systems and processes that have broad impact
- Ability to multi-task and work in a deadline driven environment
- Adaptable to constant changes in work types, technology solutions and internal processes
Pearson Education - 23 months ago
copy to clipboard
Pearson is an international media company with world-leading businesses in education, business information, and consumer publishing. Our...