This position serves as the principal HMSA contact in developing a relationship with existing employer groups in the experience rated market place, requiring in-depth analysis of employer group needs and incorporating HMSA product offerings and strategic sales initiatives in the development of group plan proposals. Requires regular customer site visits and service calls (more than 50% of time spent offsite) with account group leaders, and with key decision makers, consultants, Third Party Administrators, USAble Life, Healthways Hawaii to discuss business needs, develop relationships and foster marketing potentials and acquire new business for HMSA.
This position will identify opportunities that support HMSA’s overall sales strategies through extensive knowledge of the healthcare industry, as well as implement group-specific re-contracting, renewal, and retention strategies.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Proactively service and grow HMSA products and services through various methods including site visits, telephone and email correspondence, power point presentations, and one-on-one customer servicing.
- Protect HMSA’s market share through the successful renewal and retention of assigned accounts by strategically aligning HMSA’s value-proposition to address the customer’s business needs.
- Has the primary renewal responsibility for the lower 70% of assigned Strategic Account Manager (SAM) base accounts. Responsible for assisting SAM with in-office research for top 30% of SAM base accounts. This will include working with various internal HMSA groups, including the RFP group to complete renewals in a timely manner.
- Meet the HMSA membership objectives and the USAble established sales goals. .
- Understand and present various funding arrangements to the large group market segment.
- Responsible for being the primary contact for all complex existing account service issues, and delegating to the Account Service Rep, the secondary account contact for administrative tasks.
- Escalate to SAM and management for complex account issues as appropriate.
- Responsible for partnering with SAM to achieve goals for new USAble and HMSA member growth within assigned base of accounts.
- Be a working team member of the Account Management Team consisting of the Strategic Account Manager (SAM), Account Relationship Consultant (ARC), Account Service Representative(ASR), and the Health Plan Advisor(HPA) to provide exceptional pro-active servicing for an assigned book of strategic accounts.
- Meet with AMS leadership and SAM on complex account issues after having researched and identified potential solutions.
- Collaborate with, and accept delegated tasks from SAM and management in support of overall proactive servicing for the assigned base of accounts.
- Delegate servicing tasks to Account Service Representative as appropriate.
- Expand relationship with groups through the sale of new products; coordinate problem solving to address group inquiries.
- Participate in strategic planning and evaluation sessions with employer groups.
- Educate employer groups on HMSA, industry trends, and the impact of these trends on cost and utilization.
- Manage internal and external customer relationships to ensure that employer needs are identified and addressed.
- Partner with rating analyst and Underwriting management for renewal development, work with Product Management for new benefit development, work with USAble Life for ancillary product proposal development.
- Perform complex business analyses of customer's business requirements and develop proposals that exceed the customers' requirements. Collaborate with key areas of the organization to present a comprehensive, integrated healthcare story for the employer group through presentations and written summaries.
- Evaluate account-specific utilization, and identify opportunities for plan design and financial arrangement changes that positively affect the financial needs of the customer and HMSA.
- Understand and identify the strategic vision and objectives of the employer group organizations, and align HMSA products and services to ensure those business objectives are achieved.
- Design and implement proactive account servicing process and communication paths with assigned base of accounts.
- Complete Account Planning for assigned base of accounts in collaboration with SAM.
- Actively maintain an understanding of the drivers and trends within HMSA and the overall healthcare industry that would affect HMSA’s employer groups and shape their business and buying decisions.
- Responsible for bringing information about the marketplace, customer needs perspectives, expectations, demands, and requests to HMSA. (Obtain competitor information from within each assigned account).
- Maintain awareness of competitive activities and opportunities. Research and communicate marketing and sales intelligence relating to competition and changes in the marketplace.
- Participate with professional employee health benefit organizations.
- Maintain accurate records of all account activity and provide management with a weekly report on proposal/sales activities, jeopardy/lost accounts, and major servicing issues.
- Special projects as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent amount of related experience.
Four years successful field-based customer service experience in the mid-large corporate account market (or equivalent supervisory or industry knowledge in relevant/similar positions).
One year of successful sales experience.
Excellent verbal, written and presentation communication skills.
Excellent facilitation and presentation skills with understanding of group dynamics.
Strong planning and organization skills.
Strong decision-making and problem analysis skills.
Negotiating and sales skills.
Proficient PC skills; Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
Active license with the state of Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs or pass all four sections of the state licensing examination within three months of hire date. Having an active license to sell Health, Life and Group Insurance products in the state of Hawaii is a condition of employment.
Must have valid driver’s license, access to an automobile with current license, registration and no fault insurance for business travel for meetings with employer groups.
Hawaii Medical Service Association - 19 months ago
Hawaii Medical Service Association (HMSA) is Hawaii's largest health insurance company. The not-for-profit company serves more than...