- A doctoral degree in a relevant field is required.
- At least ten year’s experience in academic administration in higher education. At least five years experience in academic administration in the field of online learning.
- College-level teaching experience is required.
- Experience with national accreditation is required, experience with regional accreditation is preferred.
- Exemplary level of integrity.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills.
The Vice President of Academic Affairs is responsible for student learning outcomes, the student learning experience, academic operations, the Registrar’s Office, library, advising, tutoring, accreditation, instructional design, and program development/curriculum management.
The Vice President of Academic Affairs reports directly to the Senior Vice President for Online. The position in located in Greenwood Village, Colorado.
- Academics . Hires, trains, supervises, develops and evaluates the Dean, the Online Registrar, the Manager of Curriculum Development, and the Librarian.
- Student Learning Outcomes . Leads the faculty and academic staff to achieve strong student learning outcomes.
- Student Career Outcomes . In conjunction with the Director of Career Services, leads the faculaty and academic staff to achieve strong student career outcomes.
- Student Learning Experience . Leads the faculty and academic staff to achieve a “magnetic learning experience” as defined in the plans of FORTIS Online.
- Student Retention, Completion, & Satisfaction . Responsible for achieving targeted levels of student retention, program completion, and student satisfaction.
- Faculty Development . Responsible for developing the capabilities and performance of our faculty, for maintaining reasonable work loads, and for the recruitment of highly talented faculty.
- Academic Operations . Oversees academic operations, including staff in Winter Park, Florida, as well as staff in Greenwood Village, Colorado, and faculty located throughout the country.
- Instructional Design . Oversees the Manager of Curriculum Development (who directly supervisors the instructional design department) and ensure that it coordinates well with faculty and staff members of Academic Operations.
- Registrar’s Office . Oversees the Online Registrar (who directly supervises the Registrar’s Office) and ensures that it coordinates well with other departments.
- Library . Oversees the Librarian and the library, ensuring that it meets the learning needs of our students.
- Advising . Oversees the Student Services Director (who directly supervises Student Services Advisors). Also oversees all advising – including academic advising and student services advising.
- Tutoring . Oversees all tutoring activities. Serves as the primary liaison of FORTIS Online with Smarthinking, the vendor which provides online tutoring to our students.
- Accreditation . Oversees and leads accreditation activities, ensuring that FORTIS Online is in full compliance with all accreditation standards, criteria, and rules, and ensuring the FORTIS Online meets accreditation timelines.
- Program Development/Curriculum Management . Oversees the development of new programs and the improvement and continued development of existing programs.
- Academic Technology . Responsible for overseeing the use of technology in the academic arena at FORTIS Online, ensuring that this technology contributes optimally to the student learning experience.
- Financial Management. Responsible for developing budgets in the academic area and for managing to those budgets in a responsible manner, ensuring that all academic departments do their parts.
- Online Learning Innovations . Responsible for staying current with innovations in online learning for helping to position FORTIS Online as an innovator in online learning. Continuous Improvement . Responsible for inculcating a culture of continuous improvement in the academic area through a variety of means including institutional research, program reviews, various other types of reviews, and effective planning (including budgeting, departmental planning, and long-range planning).