POSITION: Vice President of Product Management
LOCATION: PHOENIX, AZ—GREAT HEARTS AMERICA
REPORTS TO: CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER
Great Hearts America (GHA) is the national, non-profit growth and management platform for the Great Hearts Academies network of K-12 charter schools. This classical, liberal arts model and brand has been proven, in results and parental demand, through the scaled Phoenix-based charter management organization. Since its inception in 2003, Great Hearts Academies has grown from serving 200 students at one site to serving over 6,200 students at 15 public schools across an entire metro region. Great Hearts Academies is now the largest preparatory school provider in Arizona and its tuition-free schools surpass the very best private school options in academic outcomes, student moral formation, and comprehensive extra-curricular participation. Great Hearts offers a unique model in the high-performing charter school sector and will soon begin opening schools in Texas. Moreover, Great Hearts America is poised to expand its reach through new product and service lines.
The mission of the organization is to forge a national network of academically rigorous preparatory schools and associated services, with an ultimate purpose to graduate great-hearted young men and women who possess a sense of purpose that is directed to the service of the greater good and the capacity for the meaningful leadership that our culture so desperately needs. This competitive and durable institution - eventually serving over 50,000 students - will be central in redeeming American public education. GHA follows in the tradition of Mortimer Adler in believing that the best education is the best education for all. A classical, liberal arts education, dedicated to virtue and the pursuit of truth, beauty and goodness, is the best preparation for every child to live a full and happy life. Every graduate advances to college as a deep, philosophical, morally-grounded thinker who will then advance to thrive in a modern and ever-changing American economy and culture. GHA believes that a classical, liberal arts education for all citizens is not only a national good, but aligns with the original intent of our nation’s Founders. Liberal education makes democracy possible. Additional information can be found at www.greatheartsaz.org .
Duties and Responsibilities
The Vice President of Product Management will work with the CEO and CFO to develop and execute on a growth plan to establish service lines that maximize national impact and brand awareness. The right candidate will lead the expansion of Great Hearts’ offerings associated with subjects or skills that are considered essential for an American citizen to know in order to take an active part in civic life. Such products could include a rigorous online academic program, early childhood education with an emphasis on moral formation, and comprehensive extra-curricular activities. The role also has P&L responsibility for Great Hearts Academies’ popular after-school Athenaeum program.
- Evaluate market segments through rigorous strategic, quantitative and qualitative analytics to support brand expansion into new product and service lines.
- Formulate and execute a roadmap that identifies ideas, priorities and sequencing, and a range of “scenario outcomes” that support organization’s overall strategy.
- Develop supportable investment theses with all strategic rationale, go-to-market plans, and financial ROI projections and present the same to senior management and Board of Directors.
- Hire and oversee staff for planning and deployment of service line expansion strategies, including operational/financial planning and new product green lighting process.
- Oversee first generation activities such as identifying the facilities or other modes of distribution for each new service, submitting any regulatory filings, and assisting with training of first-generation non-academic staff.
- Ensure proper transition occurs when staff is deemed to be competent in operations that will remain at the site level before moving on to the next designated growth opportunity.
- Research and cultivate new regional/local contacts and friendships, including potential philanthropic investors and vendor partners.
- Work with other members of the executive team on core strategic planning and execution.
The VP of Product Management position offers an exceptional opportunity to develop professionally and contribute meaningfully to a unique organization which is changing K-12 education in this country. While experience in charter management organizations is not a requirement, Great Hearts is seeking people who are passionate and committed to K-12 education reform. Similarly, experience working within a high-growth, geographically-dispersed, multi-unit operating environment is also a plus.
- An advanced degree, preferably in liberal arts or business
- At least seven years of experience in product management, business development and operations or consulting
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Highly organized, adept at project management and able to work in a fast paced environment
- Deep interest and passion in helping transform K-12 public education
- Believer in classical education and philosophical alignment with the Great Hearts “Philosophical Pillars” (see www.greatheartsaz.org)
- Based in Phoenix, but must be willing to travel
Great Hearts Academies - 22 months ago