Job Number: HFB - Aqua 02
Close Date: N/A
Location: Haselwood YMCA
Job Type: Part Time
Starting Wage: $9.20+/hr depending on qualifications
Hours: Part time up to 34 hours per week. May include a regular Saturday and/or Sunday; a set schedule within this set of hours will be determined upon hire.
The YMCA of Pierce and Kitsap Counties is seeking experienced Swim Instructors for the Haselwood Family YMCA. Swim Instructors provide direct leadership, instruction and motivation for students in swimming classes. They instruct beginning to advanced swimming and safety skills according to age group and class swim level. They provide a quality experience to students and parents focused on YMCA core values: honesty, respect, responsibility, and caring.
The Haselwood Family YMCA is a part of YMCA's Activate America national initiative that is committed to:
• Supporting those who want to lead a healthy lifestyle, but struggle to do so.
• Being an integral part of our community's efforts to make long-lasting changes that support healthy living.
• Working in collaboration through partnerships with public, private and other nonprofit organizations.
• Promote a positive environment that fosters fun, safety and our YMCA values.
• Treat every student fairly and equally regardless of circumstances and abilities, making each feel good about themselves and encouraging a fun environment.
• Encourage member and parent involvement and identifies potential volunteers.
• Maintain good public relations with members and always represent the best interests of the YMCA.
• Assume other responsibilities as mutually agreed upon with a supervisor.
• Instruct swimming lessons in basic and advanced stroke skills according to class swim level as assigned in accordance with YMCA guidelines.
• Possess the knowledge and skills needed to instruct classes in the above-mentioned techniques.
• Teach and demonstrate in a positive manner.
• Actively teach your classes in the water, give clear directions and provide adequate demonstrations.
• Prepare class lesson plans with a natural progression of appropriate skills for the abilities and ages of the classes.
• Insure the safety of swim lesson students at all times.
• Monitor student progress in all classes.
• Be available before and after class to speak with parents.
• Assist the aquatics program in answering parent questions and concerns, and enforce all safety rules and regulations of the pool.
Branch Team Member and YMCA Values
• Model the YMCA values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility through fun, positive relationships with members and staff. Seek every opportunity to encourage, motivate and thank fellow staff members for their work.
• Be enthusiastic toward members by learning their names and expressing an interest in their YMCA activities. Strive to enrich their Y experience by introducing them to new programs, staff, members and volunteer activities.
• Understand the Y's mission, goals, objectives and programs to better relay this information to members for Youth Development, Healthy Living, and Social Responsibility.
Professional Image and Development
• Maintain a consistent, professional image through dress, actions and relationships with members. Speak enthusiastically on behalf of the Y at given opportunities.
• Participate in applicable training and conferences to further professional growth as outlined in annual training plan.
• Attend and participate in staff meetings as requested.
• Represents the YMCA and self in a professional manner of safety and fun.
• Minimum age of 16.
• Must be an active person - "in water" type person preferred.
• Must be able to demonstrate swim instructor skills in accordance with YMCA standards. Experience preferred.
• Positive attitude and ability to work with young children.
• Interested in broadening swimming skills and knowledge.
• Certifications preferred: CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid certification. YMCA Swim Instructor certification or equivalent.
• Ability to instruct and observe participants in proper stroke techniques.
• Ability to lift equipment, and to lift a small to average size child.
• Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical incidents and the physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency situation.
YMCA of Pierce and Kitsap Counties - 12 months ago
copy to clipboard