Senior Manager - Database Innovation Team-INF0004049
About the General Motors Enterprise Database Services: Database Innovation Team
GM is enabling an unparalleled IT transformation, enabling the latest technology trends, unleashing IT innovation, in an effort to help GM to design, build, and sell the world’s best vehicles. The Enterprise Database Services organization is supporting that initiative by providing for all aspects of database technology strategy, deployment, monitoring, and operations of GM databases in an effort to provide GM with the best managed database solutions in the world.
The database innovation team, within Enterprise Database Services, is chartered with providing best-in-class Database Management System (DBMS) project solutions to our IT application partners world-wide. The team is responsible for participating in all phases of the application development life cycle while designing, developing, and deploying databases on behalf of the application in a way that insures GM’s data is secure, highly available, current, flexible, and monitored. Team members are to be “trusted advisors” to each and every application team they support.
About the role:
The Database Innovation Team Senior Manager will hire, develop, and lead application DBAs in the design, deployment and change management of all GM IT databases world-wide. This position includes but is not limited to working closely with application teams to proactively guide, install and manage database innovation throughout the development lifecycle consistently across GM’s application portfolio. This individual will drive application DBAs to be responsible for understanding all database related capacity requirements, implementation of database standards, providing DBMS expertise to business solution teams, implementing SOX controls, measuring performance, and driving best-in-class availability.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science or Engineering
- Minimum 12 years of Information Technology experience with enterprise operational expertise in
- Minimum of 8 years of proven leadership experience in driving enterprise level technology teams maintaining databases within windows, Unix, and Linux OS for SQL Server, Oracle, DB2, etc.
- Extensive technical knowledge across multiple technology areas
- Tenacity for driving objectives, goals, operational excellence and efficiency
- Application development in large, complex organizations
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and communication skills
- Deep understanding of SOX database controls
- Knowledge on how to support very large databases with heavy online and batch activities
- Expertise in Oracle, SQL Server, and DB2 database monitoring, tuning, and upgrades
- Broad knowledge of storage subsystems, networking, application performance, SAP, integration solutions, Java platform, .Net framework, Shell scripting, T-SQL, PL/SQL, SQL PL, etc.
- Understanding/experience in an Agile (scrum), and/or iterative development methodology
- Experience and familiarity with IT best practices (e.g., CMMI, ISO9000, ITIL, COBIT)
Why General Motors?
At GM, we’ve charged ourselves with one mission: to design, build and sell the world’s best vehicles. And to achieve our goals, we’re currently undergoing one of the largest Information Technology transformations in the history of the automotive industry.
GM IT is a leader in cutting edge technologies such as Mobility, Telematics, Mission-Critical Business Systems, Supercomputing, Vehicle Engineering, and Real-time Computing. We offer challenging positions for passionate professionals looking to get in on the ground-floor of a growing “Fortune 5” firm that is re-inventing IT with a laser focus on Innovation, Speed, and Business Value.
Join our team and experience Information Technology at a scale and pace not seen before!
Primary Location: US-TX-Austin
Posting Date : Feb 2, 2013, 5:13:38 PM - Ongoing
Job: Information Technology
Growth opportunities at GM for talented people are as wide as the world.
From the design and engineering of new state-of-the-art plants...