Security Clearance Level Other Key Functions Provide technical writing and editing for the MITRE Corporation’s Center for Connected Government (CCG) -- including the IRS/VA FFRDC, Judiciary FFRDC, and DHS FFRDC -- relative to its work supporting multiple government agencies as well as to other Center work, both internal and external. Assignments will vary depending on the mission’s most pressing needs and will include work program and customer-oriented materials as well as internal communications materials. Documents may be prepared in Word and Powerpoint, and may also include Excel and Visio.
Serve as back-up lead for writing/editing department when Lead is out of the office. Back-up lead responsibilities would include interfacing with internal customers, assigning work to editors, and quality checks on work performed. Required Education/Experience: Bachelor's, plus 6 years experience or the equivalent in job-relevant work experience Desired Education/Experience • Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, or related field (preferred), or
- Bachelor’s degree in unrelated field or Certificate in editing from accredited academic institution
- 5-10 years of experience in the editing field or with job-relevant work.
- Some management and/or customer service experience preferred. Required Skills: Editing/Writing: Must have expertise in editing for proper grammar, punctuation, usage, and style (i.e., Chicago Manual of Style, AP Style, Gregg Reference).
- Ensure consistency of voice and use of parallel construction
- Identify inconsistencies, discrepancies, and redundancies
- Provide advice on reorganization of text when appropriate
- Identify areas where information is incomplete or where additional information is needed to enhance meaning; provide suggested language as appropriate
- Suggest revisions to give a cohesive voice and style to a document that has been written by multiple authors
- Review graphics and tables to ensure that they are clearly and correctly labeled and that content is consistent with the author’s description in the text
- Cross check table and figure labels against text references to ensure consistency
- Generate table of contents and lists of figures and tables; cross check table of contents against headings
- Validate page numbering and content of footers and headers
- Create specialized headers and footers as needed, including adding required text for sensitive (FOUO, SBU, CUI) documents
- Verify Web citations and correct as necessary
- Identify items that require footnotes or endnotes and format and quality check footnotes and endnotes
- Identify acronyms and standardize use of acronyms; create or correct acronym list
- Create or edit reference lists
- Ensure agreement with the guidance of the appropriate style manual, such as the Chicago Manual of Style or IEEE Reference Style, or customer stated preferences
- Provide instructions and coaching to authors on reviewing proposed changes and finalizing a document
- Perform a quality assurance review of a final edited document to ensure that formatting errors were not introduced during finalization
- Exercise version control for documents that are iteratively developed
- Write or suggest revisions to executive summaries, introductions, conclusions
- Suggest improvements in content and organization of documents and briefings
- Participate in on-line meetings and teleconferences with authors to discuss document content and collaboratively develop ideas for additions and revisions to documents
- U.S. citizenship required.
- Demonstrated English language proficiency with strong written and oral communications skills.
- Willingness and able to obtain required clearances.
- Strong attention to detail with strong organizational skills.
- High level of proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Working knowledge of one industry-standard style guide (e.g., The Chicago Manual of Style). Desired Skills Familiar with basic formatting in both Word and PowerPoint.
- Format documents, tables, and graphics (where appropriate)
- Identify the appropriate style set for a document and apply to document text, title page, headings, figures and tables, appendices, and front and back matter
- Modify styles and add new styles as needed
- Correct spacing
- Ensure proper formatting and sizing of figures
- Develop tables and graphics using Microsoft PowerPoint and Visio
- Format PowerPoint slides standardizing sizing and spacing, redistributing text, modifying Master Slides, and adding or improving color, WordArt, and other visual interest to enhance presentations
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Very strong Microsoft Office skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and be flexible.
- Familiarity with MITRE deliverables and briefings. Travel Statement *This position will require overnight travel up to 0% of the time. Clearance Statement *Applicants selected for this position will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Only US citizens are eligible for a security clearance. For this position, MITRE will consider only applicants with security clearances or applicants who are eligible for security clearances.
Mitre Corporation - 11 months ago
Politicians try to engineer a better government, but MITRE governs the country's best engineering. A private, not-for-profit organizati...